Midtown performing in 2000
|Origin||New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop punk, punk rock, emo|
|Years active||1998–2005, 2014|
|Labels||Columbia, MCA, Drive Thru|
Midtown was an American pop punk band from New Brunswick, New Jersey. Midtown was formed in November 1998 by three Rutgers University students, but soon became a quartet. The group released three full-length studio albums and three extended plays before disbanding in 2005. Vocalist/bassist Gabe Saporta later went on to form synthpop band Cobra Starship, while guitarist Heath Saraceno later joined Senses Fail. In early 2014, Midtown reunited to play three shows, the first as a secret show at The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn, and the two remaining at the Skate And Surf Festival.
Midtown was formed in 1998 by Rutgers University students Gabe Saporta (vocals/bass), Rob Hitt (drums), Tyler Rann (guitar/vocals). The group added Heath Saraceno on guitar/vocals, and used its roots in the New Jersey punk scene to develop a sound that combined elements of pop punk and punk rock. Midtown began recording shortly after its formation. The band's first EP, The Sacrifice of Life, was released by Pinball Records in 1999, followed by a debut album, Save the World, Lose the Girl, released in early 2000 by the Drive-Thru Records label. The band was then upstreamed to MCA for its following album, Living Well Is the Best Revenge (2002).
Midtown's next album, Forget What You Know (2004), was produced while the band was not under contract with a record label and was later picked up by Columbia Records. This was the band's final studio album; they disbanded shortly after its release, in 2005. Former frontman Gabe Saporta then became the lead singer of alternative dance/synthpop band Cobra Starship, who disbanded in November 2015. Former guitarist Heath Saraceno joined the band Senses Fail in 2005 but decided to leave them in 2009 to pursue personal endeavors. Tyler Rann went on to sing for Band of Thieves with some friends but eventually left the music business and now works in the fashion/clothing industry.
- Gabe Saporta - lead vocals, bass guitar (1998–2005, 2014)
- Tyler Rann - vocals, guitars (1998–2005, 2014)
- Heath Saraceno - vocals, guitars (1998–2005, 2014)
- Rob Hitt - drums, percussion (1998–2005, 2014)
- Save the World, Lose the Girl (2000)
- Living Well Is the Best Revenge (2002)
- Forget What You Know (2004)
- Punk Goes 80s
- Punk Goes Acoustic ("Knew It All Along")
- Cobra Starship became the new project of Midtown's bassist and lead singer, Gabe Saporta. Their first single, "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)", was featured on the soundtrack for the movie Snakes on a Plane. Their first album, While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets came out October 2006, their second album ¡Viva La Cobra! came out on October 23, 2007, their third album, Hot Mess, came out on August 11, 2009, and their fourth album, Night Shades, came out on August 29, 2011. The band ultimately broke up on November 10, 2015.
- Heath Saraceno played guitar and shared vocal duties in the New Jersey-based rock band Senses Fail until leaving the band after the 2009 Warped Tour. He and Senses Fail drummer, Dan Trapp, have a side-project called The Jettonnes. He has since retired from his career of bar league softball. He enjoys buffalo chicken pizza, salted meats, and different sauces.
- Rob Hitt works for Crush Management and also has a record label, I Surrender Records. He shares the label with friend, Ted DiBiase, and has signed I Am The Avalanche, Four Year Strong, Valencia, and Dragonette.
- Tyler Rann works in the fashion/clothing industry.
- Proefrock, Stacia. "Midtown - Biography". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "Interview: Cobra Starship « Change The Record". Changetherecord.net. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Guitarist Heath Saraceno To Leave Senses Fail (July 1, 2009) : News". PlugInMusic.com. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2011-07-21.