|Developer(s)||Marc Ten Bosch|
Mac OS X
Microsoft Windows (Steam)
Miegakure is an upcoming indie video game platformer in which the gamer explores four-dimensional space in order to solve various higher-dimensional puzzles within a garden setting. Inspired by the classic science-fiction novella Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbot Abbot, Miegakure plays much like a regular three-dimensional platformer, but at the press of a button one of the dimensions is exchanged with its four-dimensional counterpart, allowing for four-dimensional movement as the player explores this new dimension in the same way that a two-dimensional being would explore the third, experiencing the various consequences of being able to move within a four-dimensional space by allowing players to experience it first-hand, using trial and error.
The game plays like a regular platformer set in three-dimensional space, but with the touch of a button the player can exchange one of the dimensions with the fourth dimension. This allows a player to go 'through' walls, look into them, and do various other things that would be impossible in three-dimensional space.
The game is currently in development; however, updates about the development are sparse, and there is no announced availability date. The goal is for it to be released in downloadable form for PlayStation 4 and Windows/Mac/Linux as soon as it is made publicly available. There is also no publicly released demo at this time, although there have been playtests at the Penny Arcade Expo. On December 4, 2014, ahead of the PlayStation Experience event, the game was announced to be released on PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Blog. Regarding the release of the game, Marc ten Bosch also stated in the blog post that
Miegakure is still very much a work in progress, but we hope to release the game next year.
- "Miegakure is coming to Steam". Marc ten Bosch. 21 April 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "XKCD 721". 2010-03-31.
- "xkcd Makes 4D Miegakure the Most-Sought Indie Game: What You Need to Know". Geekosystem. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- "News - Road To The IGF: Miegakure's Marc Ten Bosch". Gamasutra. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Miegakure - News & PR Daily". I-newswire.com. Archived from the original on 2010-04-04. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- Counterfeiters, Urban (2010-03-30). "Miegakure: Explore the Fourth Dimension Latest Update". Urbncounterfeiters.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- Miegakure Game Soon March 31, 2010 By dailypost (2009-05-24). "Miegakure Game Soon". Daily Postal. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Miegakure: Exploring a 4D World on PS4". Marc ten Bosch, President mtb design works, Inc. SCEA. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "IndieCade 2010..." indiegamereviewer.com. October 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-08.