Mieka Pauley at Terminal 5, 2008
|Birth name||Mary Dominica Pauley|
October 22, 1980 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Genres||Alt rock, Folk, Indie pop|
Mary Dominica Pauley (born October 22, 1980) more commonly known as Mieka Pauley, is an American singer-songwriter.
Personal & Career
Pauley was born in Boston and raised in Ohio, Kentucky, South Florida, and Colorado, where she attended Cherry Creek High School. She returned to Boston to attend Harvard University, where she entered the local music scene and began performing at coffeehouses and open-mic nights.
In 2005, she won the grand prize in the first Starbucks Emerging Artist competition. In 2008, she won the grand prize in both Cosmopolitan's StarLaunch and the New York Songwriters Circle Songwriting Competition, and she was nominated for a Boston Music Award.
- In November 2007, she released Elijah Drop Your Gun. The budget of $17 thousand was financed by fans. In the summer of 2012, a song from this album, "Devil's Got My Secret" was featured in the Bruce Beresford film (starring Jane Fonda, Catherine Keener and Elizabeth Olsen) Peace, Love & Misunderstanding.
- In August 2009, she released an EP From the Mouth of Paris under the short-lived band name "The Mieka Canon" (since re-released under her own name) via Cosmopolitan Magazine's StarLaunch.
- In June 2012, she released The Science of Making Choices, financed completely by fans via PledgeMusic.
- "Mieka Pauley Wins Nemo/Starbucks Songwriter Competition". BMI news. September 20, 2005.
- "Cosmopolitan Magazine Names Mieka Pauley Winner of First-Ever StarLaunch Search for the Next Fun Fearless Female Rock Star". Marketwire. December 8, 2008.
- Michael Kornfeld (November 8, 2008). "Mieka Pauley Wins New York Songwriters Circle Contest". AcousticMusicScene.
- "Boston Music Awards 2008 nominees". Boston.com. November 18, 2008.
- Sean Moeller (April 11, 2009). "Mieka Pauley". Daytrotter.
- "Greg Brown live on 'Mountain Stage'". Public Radio International. January 21, 2008.
- my Fox Boston Archived July 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Tharp, Bridget (September 25, 2008). "Do-it-yourself ethos drives Mieka Pauley". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Joel Brown (November 2, 2007). "Power from the people". Boston Globe.
- Christopher John Treacy (November 2, 2007). "Mieka Pauley". Boston Herald.
- "Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding (2011) - Sountracks". IMDb. 2011.
- "Live Music Week Preview – The Mieka Canon". October 26, 2009.
- "Mieka Pauley". OvationGuitars.com.
- Meagan (December 17, 2010). "Mieka Pauley: The Next Big Thing". SickOfTheRadio.com.
- Gregory Robson (June 25, 2012). "Album Review: Mieka Pauley - The Science of Making Choices". AbsolutePunk.net.