Mifflin Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Mifflin Township, Ashland County, Ohio|
Wooded road near Charles Mill Lake
Location of Mifflin Township in Ashland County
|• Total||13.6 sq mi (35.3 km2)|
|• Land||12.4 sq mi (32.0 km2)|
|• Water||1.3 sq mi (3.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,309 ft (399 m)|
|• Density||91/sq mi (35.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085708|
Mifflin Township is one of the fifteen townships of Ashland County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,126 people in the township, 989 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Milton Township - north
- Montgomery Township - northeast corner
- Vermillion Township - east
- Green Township - southeast corner
- Monroe Township, Richland County - south
- Mifflin Township, Richland County - west
- Weller Township, Richland County - northwest corner
The village of Mifflin is located in central Mifflin Township.
Name and history
Mifflin Township was established about 1814.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mifflin township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Hill, George William (1863). History of Ashland County, Ohio. Williams Bros. p. 524.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.