Mifflin Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Mifflin Township, Franklin County, Ohio|
Location of Mifflin Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||14.6 sq mi (38 km2)|
|• Land||14.4 sq mi (37 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||820 ft (250 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (940/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086108|
Mifflin Township is one of the seventeen townships of Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 35,710 people in the township, 2,462 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Most of what was once Mifflin Township has since been annexed by the cities of Gahanna in the east and Columbus, the county seat of Franklin County, in the north, west, and south. The several small "islands" that remain are all surrounded by Columbus, except for the largest and most southerly, which borders Gahanna to the east.
Name and history
The township was officially established in 1811, being separated from Liberty Township. Mifflin Township was named for Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, the former home of one of its early settlers.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for County Subdivisions". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Household Counts for Governmental Units: 2010, 2000, 1990" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. August 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Mifflin Township History, Mifflin Township, 2004. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary. Scott and Wright. p. 313. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.