||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mig Ayesa at Sydney Opera House for Music of Queen: Rock and Symphonic Spectacular, February 2014
|Birth name||Miguel Alfonso Ramon Legarda Ayesa|
12 January 1970 |
|Labels||Decca Records (2005–present)|
|Associated acts||Randy Badass and the Slickmaster Five, Lovetown, The Honkies, The Riva Band|
Miguel Alfonso Ramon Legarda "MiG" Ayesa (born 12 January 1970) is a Filipino-Australian rock singer and actor who was a finalist in the reality television show RockStar: INXS as well as stage productions of We Will Rock You (London); Thriller Live and Bridges of Madison County (Manilla).
Life and career
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ayesa was born in Manila, Philippines and raised in Sydney. Ayesa was studying communications at Macquarie University in Sydney when he was offered the role of Ritchie Valens in the theatre production of Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story. He decided to put his studies on hold and went on tour with the production all across Australia. He has since performed in theatres, commercials, television series and film. He has also been a part of several bands Randy Badass and the Slickmaster Five, Lovetown, The Honkies and The Riva Band.
Ayesa moved from Sydney to London in 2001 to look for a publishing company for his material. He appeared in Rent by Jonathan Larson on London's West End in 2002 playing the role of 'Angel' at The Prince of Wales Theatre. Ayesa played the character of 'Galileo Figaro' in the musical We Will Rock You, which is based entirely on Queen material. In the final months of 2007 Ayesa returned to the stage as 'Galileo Figaro' in the International Tour of 'We Will Rock You' successfully completing runs in New Zealand, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, finishing in Bangkok with his debut CD being released in those respective countries.
Ayesa appeared in Handel's Messiah Rocks in 2008, which was released on CD/DVD fall of 2009, as well as airing as a PBS-TV special across the USA.
In Jan 2010, Ayesa made his Broadway debut in Jason Gilkison's ballroom dancing revue Burn the Floor. He toured with the show to Australia, Japan, Korea, Canada, and USA. September 2010, Ayesa opened the first national tour of Rock of Ages, in the role of rocker 'Stacee Jaxx'. In March 2011, he returned to Broadway and 'Stacee Jaxx' for the show's reopening at the Helen Hayes Theatre.
Ayesa returned to London to reprise his role in Thriller Live in January, 2012. In May of that year, he reprised the role of 'Stacee Jaxx' in a completely sold out new production of Rock of Ages in the Phillipines.
In February 2013, Ayesa reprised the role as 'Galileo Figaro' for the 2013 We Will Rock You 10th Anniversary World Arena Tour, successfully completing runs in Finland, Denmark, UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Croatia. In June he returned to the Philippines for Rock of Ages, again as 'Stacee Jaxx', and also for a third season in October 2014.
Ayesa performed The Music of Queen - Rock and Symphonic Spectacular in Sydney and Perth with fellow former We Will Rock You cast members Michael Falzon, Amanda Harrison and Carly Thomas-Smith. The concert series began on 7 February 2014 followed by two performances on 8 February at Sydney Opera House, before three performances in Perth, Western Australia (Joondalup Resort, Riverside Theatre and Boardwalk Theatre) with the Perth Symphony Orchestra. All three of the Opera House performances sold out and the Perth shows were at capacity, including an 8000-person event for the City of Joondalup at the Joondalup Resort. In June, Ayesa returned to New Zealand to play 'Rooster' in Annie. He returned to the West End in November November for 'Thriller Live', which then toured Australia and New Zealand.
November 2015, Ayesa returned to the Philippines to star as Robert Kincaid in the first international production of The Bridges of Madison County The production also starred Joanna Ampil and ran from 20 November, until 6 December. It was teh first production of the musical outside the US.
Ayesa is also known for working in the role of the money-grubbing landlord, 'Joe', in the kids television show The Ferals on the ABC. He also had a bit part in the film Queen of the Damned as a vampire who was out to kill Lestat for spreading vampire secrets. He also played Danny Zuko in Grease.
Ayesa was also a competitor of CBS television series Rock Star: INXS to be the new lead singer of INXS and was one of the final three contestants along with runner-up Marty Casey and winner J. D. Fortune. While Ayesa got off to a shaky start with his version of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", he quickly recovered and became a front runner with versions of "Live and Let Die" and "Baby, I Love Your Way", receiving third place in the world-wide competition.
November 2014, Ayesa announced the launch of his new TV travel reality show Fil It Up. Co-hosted with Sophie Sumner, which aired in January 2015. In conjunction with this, Ayesa released the new video for 'United As One'.
Ayesa's major label debut, the self-titled album MiG, was set for release on Decca on 10 April 2007. This album has already been released in Australia and the Philippines. The CD is a collection of classic and contemporary rock and roll staples, showcasing Ayesa's interpretations of his favourite songs.Brian May from the band Queen took an interest in his work and they worked on a collaboration with his band MiGnition.
During his time with Rock Star: INXS, "Baby, I Love Your Way", with Peter Frampton on acoustic guitar, was released on 22 August 2006 to Yahoo Music, and 29 August to other internet music sites. Exclusive to the US and Canadian release are three original songs, written by Ayesa and (Matthew Wilder), "She Loved", "Could It Be" and "You and I". He was signed by Decca/Universal Music Group and his self-titled debut CD was released in the USA, Canada, Australia, Philippines and New Zealand in 2007. The video for 'She Loved' was also released and is now being aired on MTV Asia and Channel V.
Ayesa launched the 'call to arms' global campaign United As One in 2009, helping raise awareness and desperately needed funds to the people of the Philippines affected by Typhoon Ondoy, and consequently by following typhoons that continue to cause devastating floods.
August 2011, he released his second album entitled 'More Than Ever'. His newly released album was a culmination of years of determination and heralds the coming of age of this recording artist.
|2007||MiG (US version)||Decca Records||–|
- Official website
- Mig Ayesa at the Internet Movie Database
- MiG Ayesa on Facebook
- Mig Ayesa on Twitter
- "MiG and Tanya in Resorts World Manila's 'Curtains Up'". The Standard. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Christine Denny (15 September 2010). "First Stop Sydney An Interview with Australia's Mig Ayesa". DanceLife. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Dan Bacalzo. "Ayesa, LaChanze, Spencer to Join Boston Pops for Handel's Messiah Rocks". Theatre Mania. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Andrew Gans (5 January 2010). "Burn the Floor Welcomes Ayesa Jan. 5; Hough to Join Cast Jan. 8". Play Bill. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "MiG Ayesa Will Join Constantine Maroulis in National Tour of Rock of Ages". Play Bill. 13 August 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Brian Scott Lipton. "MiG Ayesa to Return to London's Thriller Live in January". Theatre Manai. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Oliver Oliveros (13 October 2011). "MiG Ayesa To Reprise 'Stacee Jaxx' in ROCK OF AGES Manila". Broadway World.com. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Kristy Symonds (8 December 2013). "He Will Rock You". The Sunday Times. p. 97.
- Justin Bianchini (21 November 2013). "Concert will rock resort". Joondalup Weekender. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "The Music Of Queen – A Rock & Symphonic Spectacular featuring the Perth Symphony Orchestra". Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "The Music Of Queen". MPAC. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Tyler Brown (18 February 2014). "Queen spectacular draws 8000". Joondalup Times. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Dionne Christian (10 June 2014). "Theatre preview: Annie, The Civic". NZ Herald. NZME. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Bhakthi Puvanenthiran (4 January 2015). "Australian star of Michael Jackson 'Thriller' show says it's a dream come true". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "First International Production of THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY Premieres Tonight in Manila". Broadway World. 20 November 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2016.