Miguel A. Pulido
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mayor of Santa Ana|
|Assumed office |
November 8, 1994
|Preceded by||Daniel Young|
|Born||1956 (age 62–63)|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Education||California State University, Fullerton (BS)|
Miguel A. Pulido (born 1956) is an American politician. He has been the mayor of the city of Santa Ana, California for over two decades. He is a member of the Democratic Party. He has been investigated for multiple corruption scandals tied to money laundering and bribery. He was fined for renting out public parking lots and using his long time position as mayor for private benefit. Being mayor of Santa Ana for 25 years, many have expressed sentiment toward his position of mayor becoming more authoritative, instead of community centered policies. He has constantly given police raises instead of investing in public infrastructure. Recently, Mayor Miguel Pulido, agreed to $13,000 fine for conflict of interest in land-swap deal Turmoil has been occurring under his regime in the city of Santa Ana and city officials are finally speaking out.
Two top Santa Ana officials, including a former police chief, alleged under oath the city's police union leader engaged in bribery of City Council candidates in 2016, saying Sgt. Gerry Serrano told candidates they had to agree to fire then-Police Chief Carlos Rojas in order to benefit from $400,000 in campaign spending.
The bribery allegations were made in sworn deposition testimony in a civil lawsuit by Rojas, who was Santa Ana's police chief from 2012 to 2017. One of the alleged bribery witnesses Rojas pointed to, Mark McLoughlin, this week disputed the former police chief's account, saying Serrano did not bring Rojas up to him when McLoughlin was considering a City Council run in 2016. Rojas alleged he was forced to resign after he blew the whistle about illegal activities, including the police union's alleged bribery, and that he was pushed out as part of a concerted effort by the police union and Mayor Miguel Pulido.
- Gerda, Nick (2019-04-24). "Santa Ana Mayor Accused of Personally Renting Out City Property and Interfering in Pot Shop Enforcement". Voice of OC. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Foxhall, Emily. "Santa Ana mayor to be fined for political misconduct, but not charged". latimes.com. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Br; Pho, on; Gerda, Nick (2019-02-07). "Santa Ana Approves $25 Million Police Raise, But Not Funding". Voice of OC. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- "Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido agrees to $13,000 fine for conflict of interest in land-swap deal". Orange County Register. 2015-05-11. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- Gerda, Nick (2019-04-24). "Police Union Bribery Alleged Under Oath by Two Officials". Voice of OC. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
| Mayor of Santa Ana