Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga
|Date||March 12, 2011|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena, Paradise, Nevada, United States|
|Title(s) on the line||WBA Super Welterweight Championship|
|Tale of the tape|
|Cotto via 12th round TKO|
Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga, billed as Relentless, was a boxing super welterweight fight for the WBA Super Welterweight championship. The bout was held on March 12, 2011, at MGM Grand Garden Arena, in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. Cotto won the fight via technical knockout in the twelfth round.
Cotto, a four-time world champion, won his 154-pound belt by stopping Yuri Foreman in the ninth round at Yankee Stadium in June 2010. Following the bout, the Puerto Rican pugilist underwent shoulder surgery and took the rest of 2010 off. On the other hand, Mayorga is coming from a ninth round KO win against Michael Walker in December 2010; this was the first time he fought in 27 months, after being knocked out by Shane Mosley in the twelfth round of their September 2008 match.
Cotto ended up knocking Foreman down with a signature left hook to the body in the ninth round claiming the WBA light middleweight title, his fourth overall in three different weight divisions.
Following the bout with Shane Mosley, Mayorga took a period of inactivity. He was scheduled to fight undefeated junior-middleweight prospect Alfredo Angulo on February 14, 2009 on the undercard of Nate Campbell's title defense against Ali Funeka. Mayorga withdrew from the fight, citing injuries to his ribs from the Shane Mosley fight made training very difficult and therefore was unable to make weight. He stated money was not the issue. However, his promoter, Don King, stated that Mayorga pulled out ten days before the bout after his demands for a higher purse were not met.
On December 17, 2010, the Nicaraguan boxer fought Michael Walker and defeated him by TKO in the ninth round, ending a 27 months layoff.
- Wolak defeated Foreman via technical knockout. The fight was stopped at the end of round six.
- Vazquez defeated Zappavigna via unanimous decision (117-111, 118-110, 118-110)
- Heavyweight bout: Tommy Zbikowski vs. Richard Bryant
- Zbikowski defeated Bryant via technical knockout. The fight was stopped at 1:45 of round one.
- Heavyweight bout: Éric Molina vs. Joseph Rabotte
Molina defeats Rabotte via technical knockout. The fight was stopped at 1:38 of the sixth round.
- Middleweight bout: Matvey Korobov vs. Michael Walker
Korobov defeats Walker via technical knockout. The fight was stopped at 1:31 of the first round.
Gonzalez defeats McLaurin via technical knockout. The fight was stopped at 1:56 of the first round.
Rojas defeated Hidalgo via unanimous decision (59–55, 58–56, 59–55).
- "Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga in Headiner at MGM in Las Vegas March 12th". Hot Boxing News. February 23, 2011. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Colon, Rey (December 29, 2010). "Miguel Cotto Prepares Training Camp Plans For Mayorga". Boxing Scene. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Vester, Mark (March 1, 2011). "Cotto vs. Mayorga: Miguel Plans To Do Damage In Vegas". Boxing Scene. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Dahlberg, Tim (March 13, 2011). "Cotto stops Mayorga in the 12th round". Yahoo!. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- Rafael, Dan (January 13, 2011). "Snow delays Cotto-Mayorga hype". ESPN. Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- Vester, Mark (June 6, 2010). "Miguel Cotto Punishes Yuri Foreman, Captures WBA Title". BoxingScene.com. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- "Mayorga playing games again by pulling out of Angulo fight". 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2010-04-28.