Miguel Gómez (photographer)
March 29, 1974
|Education||Jorge Tadeo Lozano University|
Miguel Gómez (born March 29, 1974) is a Colombian-born and New York City-based American Photographer and visual artist, whose style is marked by/best known for his work in fine art photography, portrait, editorial and landscape photography.
Early Life and Education
After completing secondary education, Gómez enrolled at the Architecture School of Bogotá's Universidad de Los Andes and eventually continued and finished his studies at Universidad de Bogotá, Jorge Tadeo Lozano with a Professional (Bachelor of Arts) Degree in Advertising with a Graphic Design Emphasis from 1994 to 1999.
While at Advertising school, Gómez decided to put all his efforts into pursuing a career in Photography. However, Gómez started working seriously in photography as early as 1989 and then in a continuous manner since 1991 - 1992 (his last two high school years), when he spent almost every day in the darkroom, shooting film with a complete 35mm kit.
His initial photographic interests were based on views of the street and urban landscapes. Later on, working as an assistant photographer (while still a university student), enriched his experience and put him in direct contact with commercial photography. In 1998, Gómez upgraded to medium and large film formats and soon also embraced the digital era. As a consequence of the exploration of these formats his body of work evolved with the development of broader topics.
- Photographer at - .:. mgpixlab
- Photographer at Advertising Agencies & Magazines and for Fine Art.
In 2000 Gómez's first editorial commission was for Architectural Digest Latin American Edition.
Later on his photographs were also featured in some of the most important local magazines: Fucsia,Cromos, SoHo, Estilo Fedco, Don Juan, Axxis, Semana, Rolling Stone. His work covered fashion, portraiture, architecture, stills and reportage.
Gómez provided work for almost every major publication in Bogotá for more than 5 years and for advertising agencies such as Lowe & Partners/SSP3 (Lowe Worldwide), Bates and Ogilvy & Mather. His work was also featured in The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture.
In addition, Gómez lectured on different levels of photography at Bogotá's top universities for 7 years, and was offered a place as a lecturer in the Fine Arts School of the Universidad de Los Andes shortly before deciding to travel to the U.S.A., the U.K. and Continental Europe to focus on his personal work and expand his international experience.
- London England: Freelance Photographer at ASOS.com
- Bogotá Photography Teacher/Lecturer at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
- Bogotá Photography Teacher/Lecturer at Politécnico Grancolombiano
- Bogotá Photography Teacher/Lecturer at Universidad de Bogotá, Jorge Tadeo Lozano
- Bogotá Photography Teacher/Lecturer at Universidad Central
- Bogotá Photography Teacher/Lecturer at Universidad Distrital Francisco José de Caldas
Gómez has also lived and worked in Los Angeles, London, and is currently based in New York City where he works as a freelance photographer. He is also involved in artistic and curatorial projects and in photographic education.
- London: Southbank Centre / Coin Street Festival Exhibit: "Equilibrium". 2009-2010.
- Invitation to Photographic Exhibit: Fotográfica Bogotá. May - Jun. 2009 A selection of 15 B/W Portraits by Miguel Gómez, along with work by: Bettina Rheims, Nan Goldin, Erwin Olaf, Eugenio Recuenco, Cindy Sherman, Sophie Ristelhueber, Loan Nguyen, Alexandre Orion, Chuck Close, Gottfried Helnwein, Graciela Sacco, Martin de Thurah, Olaf Breuning, Peter Beste, Robert Mapplethorpe, Tom Chambers, Alberto Korda, Arnold Newman, Bernard Silvesten, Man Ray, Graciela Iturbide.
Awards and Presentations
- Nominee / "Amphibia" - Sixth Annual Black and White: - Spider Awards: 2011
- Featured and Showcased on the British Fashion Website "Iqons": 2008
- Pecha Kucha Night Bogota - Farewell Presentation: Vol.IV: 2007 Profile and Video Link
- Finalist: Photography Lecturing Contest - Universidad Nacional de Colombia: August 2004.
- Member of the Board of Directors at the Colombian Photographers Association ASOFOTO / ACF: Jun. 2002 - Dec. 2004.
- Honorary Mention - FotoMaratón: Images of the City: Oct. 2001. All versions
- Shared: - Cannes Young Creatives Competition / Semana - with University Creative Advertising Partner: Studio Arellano: June 1999.
- miguel gomez photography | mgpixlab
- Official Blog
- Popular de Lujo Website / Bio and Review and Collaborations
- Don Juan Magazine Website - May 2007 and Original Source