|Born||17 July 1982|
|Died||5 June 2012 (aged 29)|
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||Lower bound techniques for data structures (2008)|
|Doctoral advisor||Erik Demaine|
Pătraşcu attended Carol I National College in Craiova. As a high school student, he won multiple medals at the International Olympiad in Informatics. He completed his undergraduate and graduate studies in Computer Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, completing his thesis under the supervision of Erik Demaine in 2008.
Pătraşcu’s work was concerned with fundamental questions about basic data structures. Pătraşcu received the Machtey Award for the best student paper at the Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science in 2008, and the Presburger Award from the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science in 2012, for breaking "many old barriers on fundamental data structure problems, not only revitalizing but also revolutionizing a field that was almost silent for over a decade."
- Chan, Timothy M.; Pătraşcu, Mihai; Roditty, Liam (2011). "Dynamic connectivity: connecting to networks and geometry" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 40 (2): 333–349. arXiv:0808.1128. doi:10.1137/090751670. Preliminary version published in FOCS 2008, doi:10.1109/FOCS.2008.29.
- Pătraşcu, Mihai (2011). "Unifying the landscape of cell-probe lower bounds" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 40 (3): 827–847. doi:10.1137/09075336X.
- Chan, Timothy; Pătraşcu, Mihai (2010). "Transdichotomous results in computational geometry, I: Point location in sublogarithmic time" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 39 (2): 703–729. doi:10.1137/07068669X.
- Pătraşcu, Mihai; Thorup, Mikkel (2010). "Higher lower bounds for near-neighbor and further rich problems" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 39 (2): 730–741. doi:10.1137/070684859. Preliminary version published in FOCS 2006, doi:10.1109/FOCS.2006.35.
- Demaine, Erik; Harmon, Dion; Iacono, John; Pătraşcu, Mihai (2007). "Dynamic optimality—almost" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 37 (1): 240–251. doi:10.1137/S0097539705447347. Preliminary version published in FOCS 2004, doi:10.1109/FOCS.2004.23. See Tango tree.
- Pătraşcu, Mihai; Demaine, Erik (2006). "Logarithmic lower bounds in the cell-probe model" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Computing. 35 (4): 932–963. arXiv:cs/0502041. doi:10.1137/S0097539705447256.
- Staff profile[permanent dead link], AT&T Labs, accessed 2012-04-25.
- (in Romanian) "Geniul". PressOne. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- (in Romanian) Ghenea, Cristina (June 23, 2009), "Craiova: Mihai Pătraşcu, informaticianul care a cucerit America", Adevărul (in Romanian).
- Mihai Pătrașcu at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Presburger Award 2012, European Association for Theoretical Computer Science, retrieved 2012-04-25.
- Mitzenmacher, Michael (June 6, 2012). "Sad Passing: Mihai Pătraşcu".
- Fortnow, Lance; Hajiaghayi, Mohammad Taghi (June 7, 2012). "Mihai Pătraşcu (1982-2012)".
- Pătrașcu’s blog WebDiarios de Motocicleta
- Mihai Pătrașcu Memorial
- Mihai Patrascu publications indexed by Google Scholar
|This article about a Romanian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|