|Also known as||Miss Information|
|Genres||Avant-garde, downtempo, trip hop, indie rock, world music|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, composer, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizer, guitar, drums, percussion, keyboard|
Miho Hatori (羽鳥 美保, Hatori Miho, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a Japanese singer, songwriter, and musician. She was the vocalist of the New York City band Cibo Matto. She also worked in the virtual band Gorillaz as the first person to provide the voice of animated member Noodle.
Hatori expressed an early interest in music while growing up in Japan. She worked at a used record shop Flash Disc Ranch in Shimokitazawa, Tokyo where she was exposed to many different styles of music, and sometimes performed as a club DJ. Her earliest history in a music project dates to 1991 when she joined the hip hop group Kimidori, although she eventually left the group in 1992. Miho then moved to the United States, New York circa 1993 to study art. The first New York band she was in was a punk band called Leitoh Lychee for which she provided the vocals, and also played violin through a distortion effects pedal.
It was as a member of Leitoh Lychee where she first met her Cibo Matto co-founder Yuka Honda in 1994. Cibo Matto went on to release two albums, Viva! La Woman in 1996 and Stereo ★ Type A in 1999. She also contributed vocals to Cibo Matto bandmate Sean Lennon's solo album, Into the Sun in 1998. Cibo Matto broke up in 2001, but came back with a reunion tour in 2011. They released a third and final follow-up album Hotel Valentine on February 14, 2014. She has just released a new single "Formula X" as of 12/11/2020.
While Cibo Matto was touring with Beck, Hatori and Beck guitarist Smokey Hormel discovered a shared love of bossa nova and samba, which eventually resulted in their Brazilian-styled musical project Smokey & Miho. Other artists she has worked with include Handsome Boy Modeling School on the album So... How's Your Girl?, DJ Towa Tei, Stephin Merritt's The 6ths, The Baldwin Brothers, Beastie Boys, Blackalicious, Peter Daily, Greg Kurstin (Action Figure Party), Forró in the Dark, John Zorn, and The Incredible Moses Leroy. Miho has also performed solo and on October 21, 2005 her first solo album, Ecdysis was released in Japan, later to the American and European market. The song, "Birthday Cake," from the first Cibo Matto album was used in the Xbox game, Jet Set Radio Future.
- The Two EPs (as Smokey & Miho) (2003)
- Ecdysis (2005)
- Sequence (as Miss Information) (2018)
- Between Isekai and Slice of Life ( 〜異世界と日常の間に〜) (2021)
- Amazon To LeFrak (as New Optimism) (2018)
- "Night Light" from the Ninja Tune album Urban Renewal Program (2002)
- "Baracuda" (2006)
- "Formula X" (2020)
- Vocals on 2 songs "August" and "赤い砂漠 (Hypno Ver.)" on the Zentaro Watanabe-produced album Atami (2001)
- Rap (as New Optimism) on "Snappp" by Maika Loubté (2019)
- Radio Interview – Nov 2006 – 3SYN 90.7FM Melbourne, Australia – Uncut Interview Post
- KCRW In-studio performance – February 2007 Santa Monica, California
- Spinning on Air
- Shindo (Japanese film)
- The Killing of a Chinese Cookie
- xXx: AForbidden Love Story (Diesel's short film by Alexi Tan)