Albornoz playing for Malmö FF
|Full name||Miiko Martín Albornoz Inola|
|Date of birth||30 November 1990|
|Place of birth||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Left Full back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 31 May 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 16 June 2015
Miiko Martín Albornoz Inola (Spanish pronunciation: [mi(i)ko alβor'nos]; born 30 November 1990) is a Swedish-born Chilean footballer currently playing for Hannover 96 in Bundesliga. Albornoz started his professional career at IF Brommapojkarna in 2007 and played there until 2011 when he transferred to Malmö FF. He has also been capped for Sweden in various youth teams, the highest of these in Sweden U21. His father is Chilean and mother is Finnish. He has stated to play for Chile rather than for Sweden. Jorge Sampaoli called Albornoz for a friendly match against Costa Rica in January 22, after rejecting a call-up to play for Sweden at international level. Albornoz was included in Chile's 2014 World Cup and 2015 Copa América squads.
Albornoz began his career at four years of age at IF Brommapojkarna where he played his way through various youth teams before he joined the first team in 2007. He played his first match in 2008 in Superettan, the second tier of the Swedish football league system. He played his first Allsvenskan match in 2009.
Albornoz signed a four-year contract with Swedish champions Malmö FF on 14 August 2011. At Malmö FF he took over shirt number 14 from Guillermo Molins who had left the club in the same transfer window. He was presented as the clubs new player in front of a crowd of 23,180 at Swedbank Stadion before an exhibition game against A.C. Milan. Albornoz made his debut for the club in a 2–1 win over GAIS in Allsvenskan on 20 August 2011. In total Albornoz played six league matches in Malmö FF for his first season at the club and also got to play for the club in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League group stage.
For the 2012 season, Albornoz played much of the pre-season as right-back, even though he is left-footed and had never before played to the right. Against Syrianska FC on 23 April, he started as right-back and played 90 minutes. Albornoz continued to play at the position for the following games, replacing Ulrich Vinzents who had been the starting player at the position since 2006. Albornoz played one of his best games for Malmö FF at home against AIK on 2 July when he was awarded the man of the match award. On 27 August Albornoz scored his first goal for the club, a hard volley shot from outside the penalty area, for Malmö FF in a home fixture against GIF Sundsvall. Albornoz played 27 matches and scored 3 goals in total for Malmö FF in 2012.
Albornoz changed from the number 14 jersey to number 3 ahead of the 2013 season. On 22 April 2013 he made his first appearance for the season after his suspension in a home fixture against Östers IF. He went on to play in all of the club's remaining league matches and scoring one goal in the title winning season where he played a major role. Albornoz also played all of Malmö FF's matches in the qualification stage for the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League. He was nominated as defender of the year for the 2013 Allsvenskan for his overall performance during the season.
During the 2014 season Albornoz played nine out of twelve possible matches before the 2014 FIFA World Cup and his transfer to Hannover. He also played all of the matches for the club in the 2013–14 Svenska Cupen campaign where the club progressed to the semi-finals.
On 20 June 2014 the transfer of Albornoz to the German Bundesliga club Hannover was officially announced. The transfer was completed on 1 July 2014 when the German transfer window opened. Albornoz was in Brazil with the Chile national team for the 2014 FIFA World Cup at the time of the transfer.
Between 2005 and 2013, Albornoz was a regular youth international for Sweden. He played in all youth categories, from under-17s to under-21s. In December 2013, Erik Hamren called Albornoz to be part of the senior squad, to play friendlies in Middle East. Albornoz rejected the call-up choosing instead to wait to be nominated to play for Chile.
In December 2013, Albornoz stated to Chilean media that he was able to play for Chile in a friendly against Germany in March 5. But Jorge Sampaoli called Albornoz for a friendly against Costa Rica, in January 22. He rejected Sweden in favour of Chile to have a chance to play in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Albornoz earned his first international cap against Costa Rica, on January 22, scoring the opening goal in a 4–0 victory. On May 13, 2014, Albornoz was called for the provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup. Albornoz earned his second cap against Egypt, and on the following day, he was confirmed on the 23-man squad that played in Brazil. Although Chile reached to the round of 16, Albornoz didn't play in any match.
- As of 10 April 2015.
- As of 1 February 2015.
|1||22 January 2014||Estadio Municipal Francisco Sánchez Rumoroso, Coquimbo, Chile||Costa Rica||1–0||4–0||Friendly|
On 8 January 2013 it was made official that Albornoz was being charged with statutory rape for having sexual relations with a 14-year-old girl on 8 November 2012 in Malmö. Albornoz was detained and arrested for the offence on 17 November 2012, but was released after three days. Albornoz admitted that he was aware of the girl's age at the time of the act. Media reported that the relationship was mutually consensual and that no violence or force had occurred during the act. Malmö FF published a press release the same day stating that Albornoz would take a time-out from all activities with the club until further notice.
Albornoz was found guilty and was given a suspended sentence in the trial held on 12 February 2013. As a result of the conviction Malmö FF announced a two months' extension of the time-out, but that Albornoz would be allowed to train with the squad during this period. They also announced that a new decision regarding the player's situation would be taken at the end of this period. On 10 April 2013 Malmö FF held a press conference and announced that Albornoz's time-out was now over and that he would be available for squad selection once again for the Allsvenskan match against Östers IF on 22 April 2013. Albornoz was unavailable for play in the group stage of the 2012–13 Svenska Cupen which was held in March 2013 as well as the four opening fixtures of the 2013 Allsvenskan season.
- "Albornoz gick stärkt ur skadehelvetet". Sydsvenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). 20 August 2011. Archived from the original on 18 September 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- www.hannover96.de : PORTRAIT MIIKO ALBORNOZ
- "Onko tässä Pikkuhuuhkajien uusi vahvistus?". Ilta-Sanomat (in Finnish). 5 May 2009. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "MFF värvar Miiko Albornoz". Sydsvenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). 14 August 2011. Archived from the original on 10 September 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Han kan fylla Durmaz tomrum". Sydsvenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). 3 July 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- ""Tiki" kan ha svaren". sydsvenskan.se (in Swedish). Sydsvenskan. 27 August 2012. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Miiko Albornoz klar för Hannover 96". mff.se (in Swedish). Malmö FF. 20 June 2014. Archived from the original on 24 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Miiko Albornoz". soccerway.com (in Swedish). Soccerway. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "MFF:s Albornoz åtalad för sexbrott". sydsvenskan.se. Sydsvenskan. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Det har inte förekommit våld". sydsvenskan.se. Sydsvenskan. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Om medieuppgifter gällande MFF-spelare som åtalas". mff.se. Malmö FF. 8 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Villkorlig dom för Albornoz". mff.se (in Swedish). Malmö FF. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Vår spelare fortsätter timeouten, men får chansen att komma tillbaka". mff.se (in Swedish). Malmö FF. 12 February 2012. Archived from the original on 11 January 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Avstängningen hävs och Albornoz står till förfogande för spel längre fram". mff.se. Malmö FF. 10 April 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.