Mika Tan in 2005.
|Born||November 27, 1977|
|Other names||Mikatan, Mika, Mika Okinawa, Leiloni|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Alec Knight (divorced)|
Early life and career
Tan was born in Hawaii to a Japanese–Samoan father and an Okinawan–Taiwanese mother. She was raised by her grandmother, who was an established folk dancer and singer and was also the owner of several massage parlors. While her mother's family was musical, her father's was mainly military, including her sister - who serves in the United States Marine Corps and has helped Tan with her official website. As a "Navy brat", Tan traveled around the United States, Europe, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa all before she started high school. She had a childhood background in the performing arts and has worked in the commercial fisheries industry in the past.
Tan earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from San Diego State University and an associate's degree in psychology. It took her five years to graduate, and she did nude art modeling and was a stripper to support her last year as a student. Tan has studied classical voice and also graduated from the John Robert Powers Modeling/Finishing School. She has also appeared on Playboy TV and in a music video for Too $hort called "Get in Where you Fit In".
Despite her aptitude for science, Tan did not enjoy it and worked in sales and marketing in the timeshare industry for Dennis Hof. She tried her hand at mainstream acting in California, but quit after discovering that the casting couch was not a myth.
Adult film career
Tan was discovered at an ampm by porn director Jack Pearl. Tan also had a third trimester miscarriage during this period, which she has described as the worst time of her life. She was married once to Alec Knight, another performer in the adult industry.
Dominatrix and BDSM career
Tan primarily does fetish-oriented work, including work as a dominatrix and sub for the Kink.com group of companies, mostly the "Men in Pain" and "Divine Bitches" websites. She also stars in non-fetish oriented work. She considers herself mainly a fetish model rather than a porn star though. The official biography on her website states: "For the record, I do not consider myself a porn star and any girl who has done less than 250 films shouldn't either." Tan moved into film production and direction with her own production company (GenerAsianxxx Productions) with her debut film featuring heterosexual Asian-American men in hardcore scenes.
- 2006 Adam Film World Award - Best Asian Starlet
- 2006 XRCO Award - Unsung Siren
- 2007 AVN Award - Underrated Starlet of the Year (Unrecognized Excellence)
- 2009 Urban X Award - Hall of Fame
- "Portfolio Page 1". mikatan.com. 2005. Archived from the original on March 4, 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Mika Tan: About Me". mikatan.com. 2005. Archived from the original on April 29, 2013. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
Born in Honolulu, as a military brat, I was raised across the Pacific.
- Mika Tan at the Internet Adult Film Database
- "Mika Tan Starts Production House". May 23, 2006. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "Mika Tan: F.A.Q." Archived from the original on March 25, 2013. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- Mika Tan (August 18, 2006). "Casual Fridays - Photo Frenzy" (Interview). Interviewed by Gram Ponante. Archived from the original on 2006-11-02. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
My grandmother used to own three massage parlors. (Yes, those kind)
- Gabriel Alvarez (2011-09-19). "The Top 50 Hottest Asian Porn Stars of All Time". Complex. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Mika Tan: Resume". Archived from the original on November 12, 2012. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "My Good Porn Friday". Archived from the original on January 29, 2008.
- http://blog.myspace.com Interview by Vincent P Davis[dead link]
- Thomas J Stanton (2006-04-19). "Adam Film World Announces Award Winners". AVN. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "Hillary Scott Big Winner at XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "XRCO 2006 AWARD CATEGORIES, NOMINATIONS, AND WINNERS". 5 April 2007. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "2007 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 2007-01-14. Archived from the original on April 8, 2008. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "2009 Award Winners". Archived from the original on July 26, 2009. Retrieved August 1, 2009.