Mikado Township, Michigan
|Mikado Township, Michigan|
|• Total||71.4 sq mi (185.0 km2)|
|• Land||71.4 sq mi (184.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||682 ft (208 m)|
|• Density||13/sq mi (5.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626738|
Alvin is a tiny unincorporated community within the township near the junction of Michaud and Alvin roads at . It was founded as a lumber town with a post office operating from February 14, 1906, until February 15, 1911.
Mikado is an unincorporated community within the township, about twelve miles (19 km) southwest of Harrisville near the junction of the east and west branches of the Pine River at  The community was founded by Daniel Bruce, who built a hotel for lumbermen in 1886. It was a station on the Lincoln branch of the Detroit and Mackinac Railway, and a post office was established on May 11, 1886. The post office department rejected the requested name of "Bruceville", and the office was named for the township. It incorporated as a village in 1906 or 1907 and later disincorporated.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 71.4 square miles (185 km2), of which 71.3 square miles (185 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 0.08%, is water.
|Source: Census Bureau. Census 1960- 2000, 2010.|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,043 people, 397 households, and 296 families residing in the township. The population density was 14.6 per square mile (5.6/km²). There were 666 housing units at an average density of 9.3 per square mile (3.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.64% White, 2.30% Native American, 0.10% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.86% of the population.
There were 397 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.2% were married couples living together, 4.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 113.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $31,713, and the median income for a family was $35,417. Males had a median income of $30,375 versus $19,261 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,886. About 6.9% of families and 14.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 12.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mikado Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mikado township, Alcona County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alvin, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alvin Post Office (historical)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mikado, Michigan
- Powers, Vol II, pp. 789-790
- Powers Vol. I, p. 189 and p. 504
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mikado Post Office
- Powers, Perry Francis (2005) . A history of northern Michigan and its people, Volume I. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan Library. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- Powers, Perry Francis (2005) . A history of northern Michigan and its people, Volume II. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan Library. Retrieved 2008-03-29.