Mike Allen (poet)
His short story "The Button Bin" was a finalist for the 2008 Nebula Award for Best Short Story. In 2015, his debut short story collection Unseaming was a finalist for the Shirley Jackson Award for best single author collection. In 2017, an anthology he edited, Clockwork Phoenix 5, was a finalist for the World Fantasy Award for best anthology.
The Philadelphia Inquirer has described Allen as being "[a]mong the better-known practitioners of speculative poetry" and said his poems "work best when his bizarre lyricism is put in the service of a scary and taut narrative."
Allen has won the Rhysling Award for best speculative poem three times, in 2003, 2006, and 2007. He served as President of the Science Fiction Poetry Association from 2004-06. He created the small press poetry journal Mythic Delirium in 1998.
Published biannually, the journal has included poems by authors such as Suzette Haden Elgin, Neil Gaiman, Theodora Goss, Joe Haldeman, Ursula K. Le Guin, Darrell Schweitzer, Sonya Taaffe, Catherynne M. Valente, Ian Watson, and Jane Yolen. In 2013, Allen used the crowdfunding website Kickstarter to convert Mythic Delirium to a quarterly digital journal that publishes fiction and poetry.
Strange Horizons called the first crowdfunded volume, Clockwork Phoenix 4, a look into "the future of publishing, in which a crowd-sourced publication from a very small press can produce, and can present professionally and beautifully, work which is at the height of what is being written in genre."
Short story collections
- Unseaming (Antimatter Press, 2014)
- The Spider Tapestries: Seven Strange Stories (Mythic Delirium Books, 2016)
- Disturbing Muses (Prime Books, 2005)
- Strange Wisdoms of the Dead (Wildside Press, 2006)
- The Journey to Kailash (Norilana Books, 2008)
- Hungry Constellations (Mythic Delirium Books, 2014)
- The Alchemy of Stars: Rhysling Award Winners Showcase (with Roger Dutcher, Science Fiction Poetry Association, 2005)
- Mythic (Mythic Delirium Books, 2006)
- Mythic 2 (Mythic Delirium Books, 2006)
- Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Norilana Books, 2008)
- Clockwork Phoenix 2: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Norilana Books, 2009)
- Clockwork Phoenix 3: New Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Norilana Books, 2010)
- Clockwork Phoenix 4 (Mythic Delirium Books, 2013)
- Mythic Delirium (with Anita Allen, Mythic Delirium Books, 2014)
- Mythic Delirium: Volume Two (with Anita Allen, Mythic Delirium Books, 2015)
- Clockwork Phoenix 5 (Mythic Delirium Books, 2016)
- "Epochs in Exile: A Fantasy Trilogy" (co-authored with Charles M. Saplak), Rhysling Award, Best Long Poem, 2003 (winner)
- "The Strip Search," Rhysling Award, Best Short Poem, 2006 (winner)
- "The Journey to Kailash," Rhysling Award, Best Long Poem, 2007 (winner)
- "The Button Bin," Nebula Award, Best Short Story, 2008 (nominee)
- Unseaming, Shirley Jackson Award, Best Collection, 2014 (nominee)
- Clockwork Phoenix 5, World Fantasy Award, Best Anthology, 2017 (nominee)
- 2008 Nebula Award Ballot
- 2014 Shirley Jackson Award nominee and winner list, locusmag.com; accessed June 6, 2017.
- 2017 World Fantasy Award Finalists, locusmag.com; accessed July 28, 2017.
- Strange Wisdoms of the Dead by Mike Allen, PopMatters.com; accessed June 6, 2017.
- The Locus Index to SF Awards, sfadb.com; accessed June 6, 2017.
- "Reporter was Nebula contender", Roanoke.com, May 3, 2009
- "The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998", locusmag.com; accessed June 6, 2017.
- Defying the Traditional Model: Crowdfunding in Sci-Fi and Fantasy, PublishersWeekly.com, November 21, 2014
- Internet Science Fiction Database
- An Interview with Mike Allen, Editor of the Excellent CLOCKWORK PHOENIX Anthology Series, sfsignal.com; accessed June 6, 2017.
- Clockwork Phoenix 4 Archived 2015-06-07 at the Wayback Machine., strangehorizons.com, July 2014.