Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer
Mike Bennett (born December 12, 1967 in Jordan, New York) and Andy Plummer (born December 23, 1966 in Vanceburg, Kentucky) are a duo of golf instructors who have coached PGA Tour players Charlie Wi, Steve Elkington, Tom Scherrer, Grant Waite, Troy Matteson, Bill Lunde, Mike Weir and Aaron Baddeley, among others. Bennett and Plummer are also known because the golf swing model they developed challenges some aspects of current mainstream golf instruction.
Bennett and Plummer played in the mini tours during the mid 1990s and later committed to instruction in the early 2000s, after taking courses with Larry Bartosek, Tom Tomesello, Mike Bender and Mac O'Grady.
The stack and tilt swing
Bennett and Plummer wrote, with Peter Morrice, the book The Stack and Tilt Swing (ISBN 978-1-592-40447-6). The "Stack and Tilt" model prescribes keeping the body weight forward during the whole swing, straightening the back leg through back swing and performing a steep shoulder turn, all in order to keep the shoulder turn axis in place. The theory follows some ideas that are present in Homer Kelley's book "The Golfing Machine".
The method was called that way because of the way the spine tilts throughout the swing to keep the golfer "stacked", or to keep the upper-body center in one place during the swing, and the name was chosen with the help of Charlie Wi.
The Bennett and Plummer model gained publicity beyond the PGA Tour players and instructors environment once a major golf magazine covered it in June 2007. Since then, it also received criticism from other instructors.
- Bennett, XIX.
- Lewis, 179.
- Bennett, pp. 95–116: Chapter 5, "Stack & Tilt versus the conventional swing".
- Morrice, Peter (June 2007). "The New Tour Swing: The Swing Whisperers". Golf Digest. Condé Nast Digital. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- (interview). Charlie Rose. December 23, 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-08. Archived March 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Lewis, 179–80.
- Bennett, XVI.
- E.g. GolfToday.co.uk "Move Over - Then hit it", by Janice Moody, 1999. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Sean Foley: Thoughts on Solid Contact, Golf Channel. Retrieved 2010-07-13. Archived May 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Plummer, Andy; Bennet, Mike (June 2007). "The New Tour Swing: How it Works". Golf Digest. Condé Nast Digital. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- Bennett, Mike; Plummer, Andy (September 2007). "Stack & Tilt Critics Speak Out". Golf Digest. Condé Nast Digital. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- Bennett, Mike, and Andy Plummer with Peter Morrice, "The Stack and Tilt Swing: The definitive Guide to the Swing that is remaking Golf" (ISBN 978-1-592-40447-6)
- Lewis, Chris, "The Scorecard Always Lies: A Year Behind the Scenes on the PGA Tour" (ISBN 978-1416537168)