|Born||May 25, 1982|
|Origin||Boston, MA, USA|
|Genres||Classical, folk, jazz, fiddling, bluegrass, oldtime, rock, pop, blues, Scottish, Appalachian, Asian, Arabic|
|Occupation(s)||Cellist, Singer, Arranger, Composer, Record Producer,|
|Years active||fl. ca. 2006–present|
|Associated acts||Yo-Yo Ma, Silk Road Ensemble, Mark O'Connor, Darol Anger|
Michael Glen Block (born May 25, 1982) is an American cellist, singer, composer, arranger, and solo artist hailed as "the ideal musician of the twenty-first century" by cultural icon Yo-Yo Ma. Mike Block has worked with Yo-Yo Ma, Bobby McFerrin, Lenny Kravitz, Shakira, The National, Joe Zawinul, Alison Krauss, Rachel Barton Pine, Mark O'Connor, and other notable musicians. Block currently plays with the Silk Road Ensemble. In January, 2014, Block married fiddler and composer Hanneke Cassel.
In addition to his solo performances and multiple duo collaborations, Block is most famous for playing second cello alongside Yo-Yo Ma. He also performed in Mark O'Connor's Appalachia Waltz trio for three years. His performances have been described as "vital, rich-hued solo playing" by the New York Times, and "a true artist ... a sight to behold" by the Salt Lake City Deseret News.
In 2009 Block founded The Mike Block String Camp, which takes place in Vero Beach, Florida. Teachers provide instruction in multiple traditions, develop improvisational skills, and coach student bands in preparation for public performances.
In 2012 Block started the Brooklyn Pop String Camp in NYC, which aims to nurture young children's passion for playing music they like to listen to.
A frequent guest lecturer, Mr. Block has also presented at Stanford University, Princeton University, Harvard University, New York University, Berklee College of Music, Cleveland Institute of Music, New England Conservatory, Belmont University, Southern Methodist University, Sam Houston State University, Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University, and University of Arkansas. In 2006, he received Suzuki method certification in music education from the New York City-based School for Strings, under Pamela Devenport.
From 2009 -2012, Mike was the Lead Teaching Artist for Silk Road Connect, a partnership between the Silk Road Project and schools in New York City and Boston areas.
- Brick by Brick, 2012. A mostly solo project, featuring songs for cello and voice that were all written and recorded while missing 9 teeth, as the result of a traffic accident.
- Naïve Melody, 2011. Triborough Trio. Instrumental album featuring traditional and contemporary music from around the world.
- After the Factory Closes, 2010. Mike Block Band. Instrumental album featuring original music influenced by many styles.
- Words R Words, 2009. Mike Block Band. Album featuring all original songs.
Director of Music Festivals
Mike created the Vero Beach International Music Festival in 2014, which features performances by students and faculty of the Mike Block String Camp.
From 2011–2012, Mike was the Artistic Director and host of GALA Brooklyn: "Global Art - Local Art:", a Music Festival in Brooklyn featuring a diverse array of musicians and artists in unique collaborations. Notable guests include Anthony Mcgill (Metropolitan Opera), Aoife O’Donovan (singer for Crooked Still), Aaron Dugan (guitarist for Matisyahu), Multi-genre violinist/composer Todd Reynolds, Grammy-Nominated classical artists Anastasia Khitruk (violin), and the Enso Quartet, Marcus Printup from Jazz at Lincoln Center, and jazz saxophonist Seamus Blake, and singer-songwriter Amy Correia.
Mike Block has also served as musical director to cellist Yo-Yo Ma, singer Bobby McFerrin, ballet star Damien Woetzel, jookin dancer Lil’ Buck, actor/comedian Bill Irwin, jazz trumpeter Marcus Printup, world-music group The Silk Road Ensemble, and classical orchestra The Knights.
Duo with Rachel Barton Pine, Classical Violinist 
Duo with Sandeep Das, Indian Tabla Player 
Duo with Balla Kouyate, Balafon player from Mali 
Duo with Clay Ross, guitarist and singer 
Duo with Hanneke Cassel, Celtic fiddler 
Duo with Yang Wei, Chinese Pipa player 
Duo with Darol Anger, Mult-genre fiddler 
Mike Block has also performed with notable musicians such as Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Zakir Hussain, My Brightest Diamond, St. Vincent, Bon Iver, Tim O’Brien, Marcel Khaliffe, Goran Bregovic, Kayhan Kalhor and Bruce Molsky.
Mike Block Band: Featuring Mike Block (cello), Kyle Sanna (guitar), Mat Fieldes (bass), and Damien Bassman (drums) .
Triborough Trio: Featuring Mike Block (cello), Hans Holzen (guitar), and Kyle Kegerreis (bass) 
Current ensemble member
Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble 
Former ensemble member of the following groups
- Darol Anger's Republic of Strings
- Mark O’Connor's Appalachia Waltz Trio
- Bassam Saba's New York Arabic Orchestra
- Sirius String Quartet
- The Knights
- Absolute Ensemble
Suzuki Pedagogy: 2006. School For Strings, NYC Primary Teacher: Pamela Devenport
Appointed Associate Professor by The Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts, in Fall 2012.
On April 4, 2009, Mike Block was struck by a NYC taxi while walking at the corner of W85th St. and West End Ave, in Manhattan. Injuries included broken rib, jaw, cheek, nose, and he lost nine teeth. His reconstruction required multiple surgeries; his missing teeth were restored on February 15, 2012.
- "Cellist & Composer Mike Block Reinvents Concert Series at Brooklyn Lyceum". Broadway World.
- "Mike Block String Camp opens a world of music to students". VeroNews, Vero Beach, Florida.
- Battaglia, Andy (May 6, 2011). "A Brooklyn Buffet: Local Cellist Launches New Music Fest". Wall St Journal.
- "The Silk Road Project: Mike Block". Silk Road Project.
- "Yo-Yo Ma, Silk Road Ensemble return to Mondavi". The Davis Enterprise.
- "Appalachia Waltz Trio to Perform Friday, Jan. 18". Phillips Academy Andover.
- Kozinn, Allan (December 14, 2007). "Leaping Borders, Stylistic and Global". New York Times.
- "Mike Block: Quotes". Mike Block.
- "Mike Block String camp". Mike Block.
- "BPSC". Mike Block.
- "Berklee - Mike Block". Berklee.
- "The Knights: Mike Block". The Knights.
- "Silk Road Connect". Silk Road Project.
- "VBIMF". VBIMF.
- "GALA Brooklyn". GALA NYC.
- "Rachel Barton". Rachel Barton-Pine.
- "Sandeep Das". Rachel Barton-Pine.
- "Duo with Balla Kouyate". Club Passim.
- "Duo with Clay Ross". Clay Ross.
- "Duo with Hanneke Cassel". Hanneke Cassel.
- "Duo with Yang Wei". Pipa Sensation.
- "Duo with Darol Anger". Darol Anger.
- "Mike Block Band". Mike Block.
- "Triborough Trio". Triborough Trio.
- "Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble". Silk Road Project.
- "Founder: Mike Block". GALA NYC.
- "Founder: Mike Block". Block.
- "Cellist Mike Block recital Nov. 9". Illinois State University.
- "Student Artist Spotlight: Adrianne Ngam '13". The Cornell Daily Sun.
- Official Website
- Mike Block String Camp Website
- Vero Beach International Music Festival Website
- Medical Fundraiser
GALA NYC links:
Wall Street Journal article:
- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/arts/music/02mata.html - review of cello concerto
Silk road interview: