December 15, 1986 |
Toronto, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||217 lb (98 kg; 15 st 7 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||43rd overall, 2005
Michael Charles Blunden (born December 15, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. Blunden is currently a player with the National Hockey League (NHL) Ottawa Senators organization. Over his professional career, Blunden has appeared in over 100 NHL games with the Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, the Montreal Canadiens, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks. Blunden has also appeared in over 400 career games in the American Hockey League (AHL).
Blunden was drafted 43rd overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks from the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League. After his final year with the Otters, Blunden signed a three-year entry level contract with the Chicago Blackhawks on May 24, 2006. Months prior to signing he made his professional debut with affiliate of the Blackhawks, the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL, for the 2005–06 playoff run.
Blunden made his NHL debut in the 2006–07 season with the Blackhawks playing in 9 games. His season was cut short when he suffered a shoulder injury on December 10, 2006, ruling him out for the rest of the season.
On July 7, 2011 he was traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the Montreal Canadiens, in exchange for Ryan Russell. On July 1, 2012, the Canadiens re-signed Blunden to a one-year, two-way contract extension.
On June 29, 2015, the Lightning announced the re-signing of Blunden to a one-year, two-way contract. Blunden appeared in two regular season games with the Lightning last season, recording two penalty minutes. He also played in 33 games with the Syracuse Crunch, recording 13 goals and 22 points.
After two-years in the Lightning organization, Blunden left as a free agent to sign a two-year, two-way contract with the Ottawa Senators on July 1, 2016. After starting the season with Binghamton, Blunden made his Ottawa Senators debut on November 9, 2016 against the Buffalo Sabres.
Blunden was born on December 15, 1986, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Mike has one sister, Jennifer Blunden, and two brothers, Stephen Blunden & Sean Blunden, both of whom are also hockey players with Stephen enjoying his time in Canberra, Australia with the CBR Brave in the AIHL and Sean playing in the CIS for the Concordia University team, Concordia Stingers.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||40||2||2||4||59||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||5||1||0||0||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||20||3||2||5||34||7||0||0||0||4|
- "Blackhawks sign Michael Blunden". hockeysfuture.com. May 24, 2006. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Icehogs news". icehogs.com. December 26, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Blue Jackets trade Pineault for Blackhawks' Blunden". cbssportsline.com. January 10, 2009. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- "Habs acquire Michael Blunden from Columbus in return for Ryan Russell". Montreal Canadiens. July 7, 2011. Retrieved July 7, 2011.
- "Lightning sign forward Mike Blunden". Tampa Bay Lightning. July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Tampa Bay, Lightning (June 29, 2015). "Lightning Sign Mike Blunden to One-Year Contract". Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "Senators sign forward Michael Blunden to two-year contract". Ottawa Senators. July 1, 2016. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Blunden.|