Borzello with the Cubs in 2016
|Chicago Cubs – No. 58|
|Catcher / Infielder / Pitcher / Coach|
August 14, 1970 |
Yonkers, New York
|Career highlights and awards|
Michael Ross "Mike" Borzello (born August 14, 1970) is a Major League catching coach for the Chicago Cubs.
Borzello is the godson of former Major League manager Joe Torre, who was friends with Borzello's father. His sister, Keri Borzello, was an NCAA Women's College World Series participant in 1994, as a catcher and first baseman for the Missouri Tigers. She later transferred to UCLA after a career ending rotator cuff injury.
Early in his life, a then-12-year-old Borzello had been serving as a batboy for the Atlanta Braves - at that time, managed by Torre - and found himself in the middle of a series of brawls between the Braves and the visiting San Diego Padres on August 12, 1984 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. "When the fans started throwing stuff and jumped onto the field, I was like, 'OK, I gotta get out of here,' Borzello later said.
Borzello is a graduate of Taft High School in Woodland Hills, California and California Lutheran University. He played catcher in minor league baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals farm system from 1991–94, never getting above class A.
In 1996, after his playing career ended, Torre offered him a job with the New York Yankees as bullpen catcher and batting practice pitcher, Mike earned 4 World Series rings with the New York Yankees during the 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000 seasons and earned 1 ring with the Cubs during the 2016 season.
When Torre left the Yankees for the Dodgers in 2007, he brought Borzello with him as catching instructor. In 2011, he left the Dodgers to join the Cubs as a coach, working with the catchers and scouting.
- Borzello was born in New York and raised in L.A. He attended University of New Mexico and graduated with a B.A. In Communication Arts from California Lutheran University [dead link]
- DAVE DESMOND (1997-08-21). "From the Bushes to Yankee Bullpen". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- NC Times Archived April 18, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. retrieved 10th March 2011
- "Mike Borzello Statistics (1991-1994)". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2013-04-24.[permanent dead link]
- "Manager and Coaches | dodgers.com: Team". Losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Cubs announce 2012 coaching staff