Mike Capps (executive)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mike Capps at GDC 2011
|Occupation||Former president, Epic Games|
Mike Capps attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, graduating summa cum laude with degrees in math and creative writing. He also earned his MS in Computer Science from UNC-CH. Capps then went on to complete a SM in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, followed by a PhD in Computer Science from the Naval Postgraduate School.
Prior to entering the game industry, Capps served as a professor at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, where he specialized in defense and entertainment collaboration, virtual reality and computer graphics. For his work in these areas, he was one of 50 graphics pioneers interviewed for the ACM SIGGRAPH documentary, "The Story of Computer Graphics." While at the Naval Postgraduate School, Capps was the producer, designer and lead programmer of the America’s Army computer game.
Dr. Michael Capps has been a game designer, executive producer, head writer, lead programmer, research professor, and studio executive. He is best known for his decade as the president of Epic Games, makers of the mega-hit Gears of War and Infinity Blade franchises and the award-winning Unreal Engine.
Mike currently serves on the boards of the Entertainment Software Association and the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS), the Game Developers Conference (GDC), Remedy Entertainment in Finland, the Sphero entertainment robotics company in Colorado, as well as a few unannounced companies. He formerly served on the board of directors for the IGDA.
- America's Army
- Unreal Tournament 2003
- Unreal Tournament 2004
- Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
- Gears of War
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Gears of War 2
- Shadow Complex
- Infinity Blade
- Infinity Blade 2
- Gears of War 3
- Gears of War: Judgment
- Quantum Break
- "Former Epic Games president Mike Capps parts ways with studio". Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Sciences, Academy of Interactive Arts &. "Mike Capps". www.interactive.org. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Kennedy, Brian (2002-07-11). "Uncle Sam Wants You (To Play This Game)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "Epic Games President Mike Capps Looks to the Future". Forbes. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Sciences, Academy of Interactive Arts &. "Mike Capps". www.interactive.org. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "Mike Capps joins Sphero board of directors". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "Mike Capps Joins Unity as Internal Advisor". Retrieved 7 May 2015.