Mike Carlin at San Diego Comic-Con International in 2007
October 6, 1958
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Editor|
"Best Editor" Eisner Award 1994|
Inkpot Award 1994
Mike Carlin started out in the business at DC Comics as a summer intern in 1974. He was hired by Marvel Comics as a writer and artist on Crazy Magazine, the company's black-and-white humor title. He later became an assistant editor under Mark Gruenwald and wrote a short run of stories in Captain America as well as the Assistant Editors' Month issue of Marvel Team-Up (Aunt May and Franklin Richards vs. Galactus). Carlin moved to DC Comics as of October 6, 1986, his 28th birthday, and became group editor of the Superman titles. He oversaw "The Death of Superman" storyline and the subsequent introduction of such characters as the Kon-El version of Superboy and John Henry Irons. From 1996–2002, he served as an executive editor at DC Comics. As of 2014, he was DC Entertainment's Director of Animation.
Appearances within comics
The Batman Adventures #13, the first DC Comics spinoff of Batman: The Animated Series — features a screwball trio of incompetent super-villains: the Mastermind (a caricature of Mike Carlin), The Perfessor (a caricature of Dennis O'Neil), and Mr. Nice (a caricature of Archie Goodwin), a super-strong but childishly-innocent super-villain.
Superman: The Man of Steel #75 (Jan. 1998), a pastiche of Superman's death in Superman vol. 2 #75 (Jan. 1993), where Mister Mxyzptlk creates a duplicate of Doomsday. The confrontation culminates with Mxyzptlk meeting the Supreme Being who turns out to be Mike Carlin, the then-editor of the Superman titles, who promptly brings him back to life.
- 1992 Eisner Award for Best Editor, for the Superman titles and The Psycho
- Batman: Gotham Knights #21 (Batman Black and White) (2001)
- Cartoon Network Presents #8 (1998)
- Flashpoint: The Canterbury Cricket #1 (2011)
- Flintstones and the Jetsons #1–2 (1997)
- Green Lantern Annual #3 (1987)
- Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #8 (1994)
- Metal Men vol. 2 #1–4 (1993–1994)
- Secret Origins vol. 2 #33 (Mister Miracle) (1988)
- Showcase '95 #2, 6 (1995)
- Star Trek #41–47 (1987–1988)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation #1–6 (1988)
- Amazing High Adventure #1 (1984)
- Bizarre Adventures #34 (1983)
- Captain America #301–306 (1985)
- Crazy Magazine #72, 74, 80, 83–92 (1981–1982)
- Daredevil #202 (1984)
- Dazzler #32–34 (1984)
- Ka-Zar the Savage #28–34 (1983–1984)
- Marvel Fanfare #39 (Moon Knight) (1988)
- Marvel Team-Up #137 (1984)
- Masters of the Universe #1–8 (1986–1987)
- Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham #4, 11, 13–14, 17 (1985–1987)
- The Thing #14–17, 23–36 (1984–1986)
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Iola, Wisconsin. Archived from the original on October 30, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Talon, Durwin S. (2007). Panel Discussions: Design in Sequential Art Storytelling. TwoMorrows Publishing. p. 5. ISBN 1-893905-14-4.
- Superman vol. 2 #4 (April 1987) letters column
- "Bullpen Bulletins," Marvel Comics cover-dated February 1984.
- DeFalco, Tom; Gilbert, Laura, ed. (2008). "1980s". Marvel Chronicle A Year by Year History. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 216. ISBN 978-0756641238.
The January-dated books in 1984 featured a company-wide event that became known as 'Assistant Editor's Month'...a humorous story in Marvel Team-Up #137 featured Aunt May as the new herald of Galactus.
- Burlingame, Russ (October 6, 2014). "Mike Carlin Celebrates Half His Life at DC Entertainment Today". Comicbook.com. Archived from the original on January 11, 2015.
- Cronin, Brian (June 15, 2017). "The Death Of Superman: 15 Things You Forgot (Or NEVER Knew)". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on August 27, 2017.
One of the fascinating things about the Superman titles under Mike Carlin’s editorship was just how well-oiled their machine was. He oversaw four separate creative teams and managed to tell what amounted to a weekly Superman story throughout the four titles.
- Batman: Gotham Adventures #13 at the Grand Comics Database
- "1994 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on July 25, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Inkpot Award Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on July 9, 2012.
- "1992 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on July 23, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Mike Carlin at the Grand Comics Database
- Mike Carlin at the Comic Book DB
- Mike Carlin at Mike's Amazing World of Comics
- Mike Carlin at the Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators
| Ka-Zar the Savage writer
J. M. DeMatteis
| Captain America writer
| Action Comics editor
| Adventures of Superman editor
| Superman vol. 2 editor
| Superman: The Man of Steel editor
| DC Universe Executive Editor