Clevinger with the Cleveland Indians in the 2016 World Series
|Cleveland Indians – No. 52|
|Born: December 21, 1990|
|May 18, 2016, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through April 7, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.26|
Early life and career
Clevinger was born on December 21, 1990, in Jacksonville, Florida. He graduated from Wolfson High School in Jacksonville, Florida. He played college baseball at The Citadel before transferring to Seminole Community College after his freshman season. Clevinger was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the fourth round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft. He spent 2011 with the rookie-level Orem Owlz, then was promoted to the Cedar Rapids Kernels the following year, pitching in eight games. He had elbow reconstruction surgery, and as a result only pitched in three total games in 2013.
After pitching for two separate minor league organizations for the Angels in 2014, on August 7 he was traded to the Cleveland Indians for Vinnie Pestano. Clevinger spent 2015 with the Double-A Akron RubberDucks, going 9-8 with a 2.73 earned run average (ERA). The Indians added him to their 40-man roster after the season.
Clevinger was called up by the Indians on May 18, 2016, and made his major league debut that evening. He returned to the minor leagues after three starts, spending the next three months with the Columbus Clippers. Clevinger finished his time with Columbus with 11 wins, a loss, and a 3.00 ERA. He was called back up again on August 4, 2016, to start against the Minnesota Twins. He finished the season appearing in 17 games, 10 of them starts, going 3-3 in 53 innings. After injuries to a few starters in 2017, Clevinger stepped into the rotation and proved to be an asset for the Indians going forward. He finished with a 12-6 record in 27 games, 21 starts. He struck out 137 batters in 121 2⁄3 innings.
- "Mike Clevinger, rhp, Indians". Baseball America. Durham, North Carolina: TEN: The Enthusiast Network. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- ""Angels Pay for Former Wolfson Pitcher; after Turning Down First Offer, Clevinger Agrees to $350,000 Deal" by Carlyon, Hays – The Florida Times Union, June 8, 2011 – Online Research Library: Questia". Questia Online Library. Farmington Hills, Michigan: Gale. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "MLB Draft Roundup: Former Wolfson standout Clevinger goes in fourth round to Angels". The Florida Times-Union. Jacksonville, Florida: Morris Communications. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Pluto, Terry (March 23, 2016). "Cleveland Indians prospect Mike Clevinger savors everything from breaking bats to baby-sitting". Cleveland.com. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Storm, Stephanie (August 7, 2014). "Indians trade RH reliever Vinnie Pestano to Angels for minor league pitcher Michael Clevinger". Akron Beacon Journal. Akron, Ohio: Black Press Ltd. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Cleveland Indians trade Vinnie Pestano to Angels for RHP Michael Clevinger". Cleveland.com. Cleveland: Advance Publications (Newhouse Newspapers). Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Indians recall RHP Mike Clevinger from Columbus". MLB.com. New York City: Major League Baseball. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- Hoynes, Paul (August 2, 2016). "Does Cleveland Indians' Danny Salazar have peace of mind? Mike Clevinger to start Thursday". Cleveland.com. Cleveland: Advance Publications (Newhouse Newspapers). Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Join us in congratulating RHP Mike Clevinger on the birth of his first child: Penelope Grace Clevinger". TribeVibe. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- "Congratulations: Tribe family just keeps growing!". Fox 8 Cleveland. Retrieved December 21, 2017.