Michael Cooper (rugby league)
|Full name||Michael Cooper|
|Born||15 September 1988|
Warrington, Cheshire, England
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||103 kg (16 st 3 lb)|
|Position||Prop, Loose forward|
As of 14 October 2018
Michael Cooper (born 15 September 1988) is an English professional rugby league footballer who plays for the Warrington Wolves in the European Super League. An England international representative forward, he previously played for the Warrington Wolves in the European Super League.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Warrington, Cooper began his career with the Warrington Wolves when he was a part of an under-11s side who went through a whole season undefeated, winning the championship along the way. He continued through the junior ranks and eventually become part of the first team. He had a loan period at Castleford in 2010. While at Castleford he got some regular first team action, due to Castleford's injury situation. Cooper played for the England Knights in 2011 and 2012.
National Rugby League
St George Illawarra signed Cooper on a two-year deal. The Dragons agreed to a release fee with Warrington to sign the then 24-year-old, who had been under contract to the Wolves through until the end of the 2014 season.
St George Illawarra Dragons prop missed only one match during his début season in the NRL. Cooper played 14 games off the bench as an interchange prop and nine games starting on the run-on side. Cooper scored one try which came against the New Zealand Warriors in round 7, and in the same game made his only line-break. Cooper ended the season with an average of 44.2 minutes played per game. He also made 237 runs, and 2,058 metres. He has the best tackles to missed tackles ratio, with an average of 28.1 tackles a game, with only 0.9 missed.
After being selected in England's 2014 Four Nations squad, but not featuring in a match, McNamara selected him again for the 2015 end-of-year test series against New Zealand. In a test match beforehand, Cooper made his début for England in England's win over France.
In June 2016, it was announced that Cooper would be returning to Warrington on a 3-year deal for the start of the 2017 campaign.
- "The official Engage Super League web site". web page. Super League. Archived from the original on 4 October 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Profile at dragons.com.au". dragons.com.au. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Profile at loverugbyleague.com". loverugbyleague.com. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "England demolish France 84-4 in record win". Sky Sports. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Cooper (rugby league).|
- Profile at warringtonwolves.com
- (archived by web.archive.org) 2015 St. George Illawarra Dragons profile
- Planning for life after rugby
- Mikes RunGeek store
- Mikes 1895Sports store
- (archived by web.archive.org) Profile at warringtonwolves.org
- (archived by web.archive.org) Statistics at thecastlefordtigers.co.uk
- Statistics at rugby-league.com