Mike Dawson (cartoonist)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dawson at the 2009 Brooklyn Book Festival.
|Freddie & Me
Dawson was born in Scotland, but his family moved to Leighton Buzzard, England when he was still an infant. They emigrated to the United States in 1986, where his family settled in Red Bank, New Jersey. He studied painting at the Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers University.
Between 1995 and 1998 Dawson wrote and drew a daily comic strip for his college newspaper The Daily Targum. He worked with multiple collaborators, and the strip went through a number of incarnations: Dave & Pissa, Dave & Co, and Dave’s Family.
From 2002 – 2004 he self-published the humor series Gabagool!, with co-writer Chris Radtke.
His first graphic novel, Freddie & Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody, was published in 2008. In it, Dawson presents a memoir of his younger days as an obsessive fan of the rock group Queen and of the band's flamboyant, charismatic, and vocally gifted lead singer, Freddie Mercury. Dawson explores how the music of Queen corresponds to significant events and meaningful time periods in his life, particularly in his youth.
A collection of short stories entitled Ace-Face: The Mod With the Metal Arms was published in 2009 by AdHouse Books.
Dawson is the co-host of The Ink Panthers Show!, a weekly podcast with cartoonist Alex Robinson. Guests have included Tony Consiglio, Vanessa Davis, Julia Wertz, Dylan Horrocks, Sarah Glidden, and Matt Fraction.
Dawson was also the host a second podcast, TCJ Talkies, which appeared on The Comics Journal website biweekly. Guests included Craig Thompson, Jessica Abel, Tim Kreider, Howard Cruse, and Renee French.
- Freddie & Me: A Coming of Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody (2008) Bloomsbury USA
- Ace Face: The Mod with the Metal Arms (2009) AdHouse Books
- Troop 142 (2011) Secret Acres
- Angie Bongiolatti (2014) Secret Acres
- Rules for Dating My Daughter (2016) Uncivilized Books
- The ACT-I-VATE Primer (2010) IDW
- Awesome 2: Awesomer (2009) Top Shelf Productions
- PopGun #3 (2009) Image Comics
- House of Twelve #4 (2007) House of Twelve
- Superior Showcase #1 (2006), with Dean Trippe, Nick Bertozzi, & Hope Larson. AdHouse Books
- True Porn Vol. 2 (2005) Alternative Comics
- You Ain’t No Dancer (2005) New Reliable Press
- Project: Superior (2005) AdHouse Books
- SPX Anthology (2003) Published by the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund
- Ignatz Award Nomination for Outstanding Graphic Novel (2012)
- Ignatz Award Winner for Outstanding Online Comic (2010)
- Ignatz Award Nomination for Outstanding Artist, Outstanding Series, Outstanding Minicomic (2010)
- Day Prize Nomination for "Guitar Solo" mini-comic (2006)
- Ignatz Award Nomination for Promising New Talent (2002)
- "2010 Ignatz Award Recipients". SPX. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Dawson.|
- The Comics Journal 2011 interview
- Indie Spinner Rack 2008 audio interview with Indie Spinner Rack
- PopCandy 2008 audio interview at PopCandy, with Whitney Matheson
- Comics Reporter 2008 interview at The Comics Reporter
- BlogCritics 2008 conversation with Mike at BlogCritics Magazine
- Pop Thought Interview conducted by Alex Ness
- The Pulse Interview conducted by Jen Contino
- Your Indy Weekly Gabagool! reviewed at Newsarama