Mike Dillon (musician)
This article has multiple issues. Please help to improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Origin||Texas, Kansas City, New Orleans|
|Instruments||Percussion, vibraphone, drums|
|Labels||Hyena, Indie, Ropeadope|
|Associated acts||Critters Buggin, Les Claypool, Ani DiFranco, Stanton Moore, Brave Combo, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Marco Benevento, Ten Hands, Billy Goat, Hairy Apes BMX, Garage A Trois|
Mike Dillon (a.k.a. Mike D) is a percussionist, vibraphonist, bandleader, vocalist and songwriter born in San Antonio, Texas. He is a member of Critters Buggin, Les Claypool's Fancy Band and Garage A Trois. He has performed with many musicians including Ani DiFranco, Galactic, Brave Combo, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Marco Benevento, Claude Coleman Jr., and New Orleans musicians Kevin O'Day, Johnny Vidacovich and James Singleton.
Dillon's love of playing percussion was born out of his love for the band Rush as a teenager. He originally performed in the 80's with local Dallas and Denton favorites Ten Hands. At the time, he was a casual drug user. Later when he led the 1990s Dallas-based Billy Goat, he and his girlfriend (who he later married) became heroin addicts who began missing gigs and eventually were "on the verge of death". The band's management sent him to rehab, but he "only lasted three days". In the late 1990s, Billy Goat disbanded and he performed in the Kansas City-based Malachy Papers and the Austin-based Hairy Apes BMX (HABMX). Dillon quit heroin in 2000, and split with his wife around that time.
In 2006, Dillon started a funky project "Mike Dillon's Go-Go Jungle" which included members of Billy Goat, drummer Go-Go Ray, and bassist, J.J. Jungle. The live Go-Go Jungle also performs songs from Dillon's prior projects. They released their second CD entitled Rock Star Bench Press in 2009.
Dillon contributed the majority of compositions to Garage A Trois' Power Patriot CD released in 2009.
Dillon and saxophonist Skerik perform as a trio called "The Dead Kenny G's" with alternate third members. National tours have included keyboardist Brian Haas and bassist Brad Houser. With Houser they have also toured as "Critters Buggin Trio". They released a CD entitled Bewildered Herd in 2009. As a trio with bassist James Singleton, Dillon and Skerik have toured as "Illuminasti" and as a trio with Les Claypool they have been billed as "The Fancy Trio".
Dillon resides in New Orlean, but a busy touring schedule keeps him on the road much of the time.
- Black Frames Solarallergy (2002)
- Mike Dillon (2003)
- Mike Dillon's Go-Go Jungle Battery Milk (2007)
- The Dead Kenny G's Bewildered Herd (2009)
- Mike Dillon's Go-Go Jungle Rock Star Bench Press (2009)
- Mike Dillon and Earl Harvin People Gardens (2010 - recorded 2005)
- The Dead Kenny G's Operation Long Leash (2011)
- Mike Dillon Urn (2012)
- The Dead Kenny G's Gorelick (2012)
- DVS [Mike Dillon, Johnny Vidacovich, James Singleton] "Bones"
- Mike Dillon Band of Outsider (2014)
- Nolatet "Dogs" (2016)
- Mike Dillon Functioning Broke (2016)
- Mike Dillon Life is Not a Football (2017)
- Nolatet No Revenge Necessary (2018)
- Mike Dillon & Punkadelic Shoot the Moon (2020)
- Mike Dillon & The Bad Decisions Suitcase Man (2020)
- Mike Dillon 1918 (2020)
See also discographies
- Ten Hands Kung Fu ... That's What I Like (1988)
- Ten Hands The Big One Is Coming (1989)
- MC 900 Ft Jesus One Step Ahead of the Spider (1994)
- Ten Hands The Big One That Got Away (1996)
- Pigface The Best of Pigface: Preaching to the Perverted (2001)
- Karl Denson The Bridge (2002)
- Les Claypool Purple Onion (2002)
- Les Claypool Of Whales and Woe (2006)
- Ani DiFranco Canon (2007)
- Marco Benevento Live at Tonic (2007)
- Ani DiFranco Red Letter Year (2008)
- Santogold Santogold (2008)
- Les Claypool Of Fungi and Foe (2009)
- Ani Difranco "Which Side Are You On" (2012)
- Wavves "Afraid of Heights" (2013)
- Secret Chiefs 3 (Ishraqiyun) Perichoresis (2014)
- Primus Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble (2014)
- Karl Denson New Ammo (2014)
- The Revivalist Men Amongst Mountains (2015)
- Stanton Moore "With You in Mind" (2017)
- Robert Walter's 20th Congress Spacesuit (2018)
- Clutch Book of Bad Decisions (2018)
- "Dopey 290: Those Dopey Vibes with Mike Dillon".
- Tom D'Antoni Dead Kenny G’s at the Goodfoot with David Ornette Cherry Archived 2010-11-29 at the Wayback Machine oregonmusicnews.com, October 20, 2009
- Keith Spera Garage A Trois ranges from lounge jazz to prog-rock on a new CD nola.com, November 13, 2009
- Interview at The Pitch, J.J. Hensley, August 2000 at archive.today (archived 2013-01-04) - focus on Hairy Apes BMX and Billy Goat
- Interview at Jambase, Dennis Cook, 2002
- Interview at The Pitch, Mike Warren, 2007 at archive.today (archived 2012-09-11) - focus on Go-Go Jungle
- Chad Berndtson (2014-03-26). "The Art of The Sit In". Jambase.com. focus on the bands Mike Dillon has toured with.