|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives
from the 45B district
January 8, 2013
|Preceded by||redrawn district|
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
|Spouse(s)||Lauren (m. 2006)|
|Residence||Golden Valley, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University (B.A.)
William Mitchell College of Law (J.D.)
Mike Freiberg is a Minnesota politician and member of the Minnesota House of Representatives. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 45B in the central Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Early life, education, and career
Freiberg was raised in Golden Valley, Minnesota. He attended Georgetown University, graduating in 1999 with a B.A. in government and Russian. He later attended William Mitchell College of Law, graduating in 2005 with a J.D.
He was a legislative aide for Representative Jim Oberstar from 1999 to 2001. He was elected to the Golden Valley City Council in 2003 and was re-elected in 2007. From 2005 to 2006, he was a committee administrator for the Minnesota Senate. He has also worked as an adjunct professor for William Mitchell College of Law.
Minnesota House of Representatives
Freiberg was first elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. He was re-elected in 2014 with 66.9% of the vote and in 2016 with 68.3% of the vote against challenger Republican Alma Wetzker both times.
He currently serves on the Health and Human Services Reform, Legacy Funding Finance, and Rules and Legislative Administration Committees.
Mike Freiburg introduced legislation to make MLB tobacco free.
He voted to increase the minimum wage from $8.00/hour to $9.50 house over two years.
He sponsored a law that allowed same-sex marriage.
Freiberg has been married to his wife, Lauren, since 2006. They have two children and reside in Golden Valley, Minnesota. He is currently an attorney for the Public Health Law Center in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- "About Mike". Mike Freiberg for State Representative. Friends of Freiberg. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Freiberg, Mike". Legislators Past & Present. Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Engler, Valerie (August 1, 2012). "Mike Freiberg, DFL Endorsed Candidate for State Representative District 45B". Golden Valley Patch. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Mike Freiberg ’05". William Mitchell College of Law. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Radio, Minnesota Public. "Minnesota House District 45B | Election 2014 | Minnesota Public Radio News". apps.mprnews.org. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- "Minnesota District 45B State House Results: Mike Freiberg Wins". Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- "Mike Freiberg (DFL) 45B - Minnesota House of Representatives". www.house.leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- Freiburg, Make (2016-05-16). "Rep. Mike Freiberg Introduces Legislation to Make MLB Baseball Tobacco-Free". Minnesota House of Representatives. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- "HF 2091 - Increases the Minimum Wage - Key Vote". Vote Smart. One Common Ground. Retrieved 2016-11-29.