Mike Gerber (baseball)
|San Francisco Giants – No. 65|
|Born: July 8, 1992|
|April 20, 2018, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||2|
Gerber was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 40th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville, Illinois. He did not sign and attended the Creighton University to play college baseball.
Gerber was then drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 15th round of the 2014 MLB Draft. He made his professional debut with the Connecticut Tigers and also played with the West Michigan Whitecaps. Gerber spent 2015 with West Michigan and played in the Arizona Fall League after the season. He spent most of the 2017 season with the AA Erie SeaWolves. The Tigers added him to their 40-man roster after the 2017 season. On April 20, 2018, the Tigers added Gerber to the 25-man roster ahead of a doubleheader as the 26th man. He made his major league debut in the second game when he pinch-ran for Miguel Cabrera. Although he was sent back down after the doubleheader, Gerber was again called up three days later. After being returned to the minors, Gerber was recalled on July 31, 2018, following the deadline trade of Tigers outfielder Leonys Martín. That night, Gerber recorded his first career major league hit and first RBI. Batting in the bottom of the eighth inning against the Cincinnati Reds, he hit a line drive down the third base line for a double, scoring José Iglesias from first base. This turned out to be the game-winning RBI in a 2–1 Tigers victory.
San Francisco Giants
- Allard, Marc. "Gerber swinging hot bat for Tigers". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "THE REVIEW: Whitecaps' Michael Gerber taking success in stride". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Tigers like prospect Mike Gerber's approach". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Call-up to Tigers 'super exciting' for OF Mike Gerber". Detroit News. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "After brief taste on Friday, Mike Gerber ready for Tigers debut, part 2". MLive.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Fenech, Anthony (July 31, 2018). "Detroit Tigers trade Leonys Martin to Indians for infield prospect". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "Boyd rebounds in big way vs. NL Central foe". MLB.com. 2018-07-31. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Todd, Jeff. "Giants Claim Mike Gerber". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved 10 December 2018.