Golic in 2010
|Date of birth:||December 12, 1962|
|Place of birth:||Willowick, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Cleveland (OH) St. Joseph|
|NFL draft:||1985 / Round: 10 / Pick: 255|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Stats at NFL.com|
He is also an analyst for ESPN and ESPN2's NFL studio programming, as well as for the networks' college football coverage. Golic joined ESPN in 1995 as a reporter/analyst for Sunday NFL Countdown. Since then he has worked as the color commentator for the Arena Football League (1996–98, 2007–present) and the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars pre-season games (1995–98). In 1998, Golic began serving as college football analyst for ESPN and ABC, and was an original analyst for NFL 2Night (now known as NFL Live), the five-night-per-week news and information program on ESPN2.
Early life and playing career
Golic was born and raised in Willowick, Ohio and attended St. Joseph High School in Cleveland, Ohio. Golic graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1985 as a finance and management major. He served as captain of the football team during his senior season and also wrestled for the Irish.
Golic was drafted by the Houston Oilers selected in the 10th round with the 255th overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft. He was an eight-year NFL veteran, playing defensive tackle for the Houston Oilers, Philadelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins.
Life after retirement
During his five years in Philadelphia, he decided to begin his television career with a weekly segment on the Randall Cunningham Show. He received a Mid-Atlantic Region Emmy Award for his feature Golic's Got It.
Golic made an appearance on ESPN's mini-series Tilt. He can be seen during the final episode eating a donut at the buffet table. Mike also appeared with Mike Greenberg on the TV series Guiding Light in 2008.
In 2015, Golic was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in the Outstanding American category, designated for those who have used wrestling as a stepping stone to success in other fields.
Golic's older brother, Bob Golic, also played at University of Notre Dame. He earned multiple NFL All-Pro nose tackle honors and is currently a talk radio host Monday through Saturday on WNIR-FM in Akron, Ohio and co-hosts the Cleveland Browns television pre-game and post-game shows on Sundays on CBS affiliate WOIO-TV.
Mike and Bob appeared with brother Greg on the May 28, 2009 of Mike and Mike in the Morning broadcast from Progressive Field in Cleveland. Their father, Lou Golic, also made a brief appearance. The three Golic brothers again appeared together on Mike and Mike on May 7, 2010 and May 9, 2012, when the show broadcast from Progressive Field. Golic has stated numerous times on Mike and Mike he is a Cleveland Indians and a Cleveland Cavaliers fan.
Golic currently endorses ESPN College Pick'Em for Dr Pepper and the Nutrisystem program, which he temporarily lost more than 50 pounds on. He also endorses Tabasco hot sauce. Golic also began endorsing Philadelphia's Steven Singer Jewelers in 2011.
Golic resides in Avon, Connecticut with his wife Christine. All three of Golic's children attended Notre Dame. His sons, Mike Jr. (born September 28, 1989) and Jake (born December 25, 1990) played football (Jake currently plays at Cincinnati), while his daughter Sydney (born December 21, 1994) is a swimmer for the Irish. Mike Jr. signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft.
In 2010 Golic co-wrote the book Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life with co-host Mike Greenberg.
- Mike Golic . "Mike Golic, DT at". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- Golic admits to corticosteroid use during national radio show, Yahoo!, 2007-11-09, retrieved 2007-11-16
- Schultz, Jeff (2007-11-13), Dunn does Falcons proud, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, retrieved 2007-11-16
- "Mike Greenburg and Mike Golic to Appear on Guiding Light". TV Fanatic. 2007-12-05. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "National Wrestling Hall of Fame Announces Exceptional Class of 2015". National Wrestling Hall of Fame. 2015-06-05. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- NutriSystem - Success Stories
- "Jake Golic Becomes Notre Dame's 1st 2009 Commitment". HULIQ. 2008-04-07. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Irish Insights: More From Jake Golic - and Mike Golic Sr". Jgwebblogs.typepad.com. 2008-04-05. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Steelers Complete 2013 NFL Draft With Nine Selections". Steelers.com. 2013-04-28. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life: Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic, Andrew Chaikivsky: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.