|Born||August 21, 1965|
Taylor, Michigan, U.S.
|Died||July 26, 2021 (aged 55)|
Eureka, California, U.S.
Howe began his career as the singer for a Detroit band called Hellion (later renamed Snair after moving to Los Angeles) before joining the band Heretic, who were formed in 1986. Heretic released its sole full-length album, Breaking Point in 1988 before Howe departed to join Metal Church and Heretic disbanded.
From 1988 until 1996 Howe sang in Metal Church, replacing David Wayne. After Howe joined Metal Church the subject matter deepened. The band's lyrics tackled political and social issues of the day with the releases of Blessing in Disguise and The Human Factor. Howe recorded three albums with Metal Church before the group split up in 1996.
Metal Church founder Kurdt Vanderhoof reported in 1998 that Howe had retired and was living in Tennessee with his family. Outside music, he had a full-time job in carpentry and was a father to two sons born in 1997 and 2002, respectively.
On April 30, 2015, Metal Church announced that Howe had rejoined the band, and he appeared on two more albums with them – XI (2016) and Damned If You Do (2018), as well as their 2017 live album Classic Live and the 2020 compilation album From The Vault.
On July 26, 2021, Metal Church announced via the band's Facebook page Howe died that morning at his home in Eureka, California, at the age of 55. The cause of death was ruled asphyxiation due to suicide by hanging. At the time of his suicide, Metal Church was in the process of working on a new album that they had planned to release in 2022. He is the second singer of Metal Church to have died, following David Wayne in May 2005.
- Breaking Point (1988, Metal Blade)
With Metal Church
- Blessing in Disguise (1989)
- The Human Factor (1991)
- Hanging in the Balance (1993)
- XI (2016)
- Classic Live (2017)
- Damned If You Do (2018)
- From the Vault (2020)
- http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/heretic.htm. Nolifetilmetal.com. Retrieved March 18, 2011
- http://www.metalchurchmusic.com Archived October 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, band history page, Metal Church, Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- "Megora – Illusions (1997, CD)".
- "Mike Howe".
- http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/content/view/219/41/. Metal-rules.com. August 8, 1998. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Metal Church's Mike Howe: Inside My 20 Years Away from Metal".
- "Metal Church Rejoined By Singer Mike Howe". Blabbermouth.net. April 30, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "METAL CHURCH Singer MIKE HOWE Dead At 55". Blabbermouth.net. July 26, 2021. Retrieved July 26, 2021.
- "METAL CHURCH Singer MIKE HOWE's Death Ruled Suicide". Blabbermouth.net. July 30, 2021. Retrieved July 30, 2021.
- "Metal Church - Frontman Mike Howe Dead At 55". Metal Storm. July 27, 2021. Retrieved August 2, 2021.