October 7, 1966 |
Massena, NY, USA
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||206 lb (93 kg; 14 st 10 lb)|
New York Rangers
San Diego Gulls
|NHL Draft||1988 NHL Supplemental Draft
New York Rangers
Michael Ray Hurlbut (born October 7, 1966 in Massena, New York) is a retired American professional ice hockey defenseman. He was drafted by the New York Rangers in the 1988 NHL Supplemental Draft. He currently serves as the associate head coach of the St. Lawrence University Men's Hockey program.
In 1985, he joined the St. Lawrence University Skating Saints Division I Men's Ice Hockey Program. He was recruited from the Northwood School in Lake Placid, New York. While Hurlbut was at St. Lawrence, he was a First Team All-American, as well as a First Team All ECAC. He is widely considered to be one of the best defensemen to ever play hockey for St. Lawrence.
Hurlbut played in 23 games for the Rangers during the 1992–93 season before parting ways with the franchise. He would play one game for the Quebec Nordiques during the 1993–94 season, and five more for the Buffalo Sabres near the end of the decade. The majority of his professional career was spent in the American Hockey League and International Hockey League. He retired after the 2001–02 season with the Rochester Americans, where he was the longest serving captain in franchise history. During his 14-year-long professional hockey career, he played in a total of 839 professional games, scored 117 goals, had 364 assists, and was a team captain in eight of his 14 pro seasons.
In 2002, he returned to his Alma Mater, St. Lawrence University to be an assistant coach on a volunteer basis under Joe Marsh. In 2008, he was hired by the university, and became a full-time assistant coach. He was then elevated to associate head coach prior to the 2011–12 season.
Awards and honors
|All-ECAC Hockey First Team||1988–89|||
|AHCA East First-Team All-American||1988–89|||
|ECAC Hockey All-Tournament Team||1989|
- "The Journal | Hurlbut compiled lengthy pro career". Ogd.com. 2009-01-26. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "men's hockey Coaches - Saints Athletics - St. Lawrence University". Stlawu.edu. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Hurlbut Named Associate Head Coach; Saint Program Gains NCAA Honor - Saints Athletics - St. Lawrence University". Stlawu.edu. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Mike Hurlbut - Saints Athletics - St. Lawrence University". Stlawu.edu. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "ECAC All-Teams". College Hockey Historical Archives. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Men's Ice Hockey Award Winners" (PDF). NCAA.org. Retrieved June 11, 2013.