Mike Kable Young Gun Award
|Mike Kable Young Gun Award|
|Awarded for||Best young driver in Supercars.|
|Reward(s)||Trophy, sponsorship grant|
|Currently held by||Will Brown|
The Mike Kable 'Young Gun' Award, formally known as the Mike Kable Rookie of the Year Award, is an Australian award for the best young driver in Supercars. The award is dedicated to the memory of the widely respected motoring journalist, Mike Kable.
Mike Kable was a long-time motor racing journalist, who originally worked for The Australian for almost three decades and then as a freelance journalist. After his death from cancer in May 2000, the then AVESCO chairman Tony Cochrane named the new award in his honour. "Mike Kable will forever remain an inspiration for his vision and unwavering support of young drivers and his contribution to the V8 Supercar category," Cochrane said. "Mike was both a friend and unabashed publicist to a host of up-and coming motor racing talent from Craig Lowndes, to Mick Doohan and Sir Jack Brabham. He was always looking for the next great driver and I am honoured to name this prestigious award after him," he concluded.
The award includes a AU$15,000 sponsorship grant to aid in the development of the recipient. The award largely replaced the Bathurst 1000 rookie of the year award which ceased being used at around the same time.
The medal is awarded to the rookie of the year for the season in either the main series (Virgin Australia Supercars Championship) or the Dunlop Super2 Series. It is voted on by the motor sport media, including Mike Kable’s former colleagues, which provides an independent perspective on who has been the best rookie throughout the Supercars season.
- Motorsport journalist Mike Kable honoured with new V8 Supercar award 10/6/00 Archived 2009-10-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- V8X - 2000 V8 Supercar Awards Archived 2011-03-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- V8 SUPERCAR AWARD WINNERS 2001
- 2002 V8 SUPERCAR AWARD WINNERS
- Mark Winterbottom Biography[permanent dead link]
- HPDC V8 Supercar Series Form Guide Archived 2011-04-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- Grant Denyer V8 Supercars Archived 2011-02-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- 2011 V8 Supercar Series News - V8 Supercar series, race news & results, Holden, Ford | V8dailydump.com.au Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jamie Whincup takes consolation for V8 Supercar Championship Series disappointment Archived 2012-09-18 at Archive.is
- Karl Reindler @ Holden Motorsport Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- PICS: 2009 V8 Supercar Gala Dinner « SpeedCafe - Get Your Racing Fix Archived 2011-10-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- V8 Awards: Blanchard is Mike Kable Young Gun « SpeedCafe - Get Your Racing Fix Archived 2010-12-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Chaz Mostert collects Mike Kable Young Gun « SpeedCafe - Get Your Racing Fix
- Winterbottom happy to put pedal to the medal
- "McLaughlin aims Higher". Archived from the original on 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Lowndes secures his fifth Barry Sheene Medal". Speedcafe. 7 December 2015. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "McLaughlin awarded Sheene Medal at Supercars gala". Speedcafe. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Brown awarded Mike Kable Young Gun". Supercars. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2018.