This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kernell, a Democrat, was first elected to the 89th Tennessee General Assembly in 1974; he lives in Memphis and represented the 93rd district (a portion of Shelby County). He is Vice Chair of the Government Operations Committee and was a member of the Conservation and Environment Committee,the Parks and Tourism and Wildlife Subcommittee.
In October 2008, Kernell's son David was indicted by a Tennessee grand jury in connection with the unauthorized access of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's Yahoo! Mail account. David Kernell entered a plea of not guilty, and Mike Kernell has denied knowing anything about the incident. David Kernell was convicted April 30, 2010 on two charges after four days of jury deliberation. He was found guilty of anticipatory obstruction of justice and unauthorized access to a computer, but was acquitted on a charge of wire fraud.
Cook was again the Republican nominee in 2010, and Kernell again defeated him, with 6,478 votes to Cook's 4,518.
Kernell's district was redrawn in 2012 by the Republican-controlled legislature, pitting him against fellow Democratic incumbent Goffrey Hardaway in the August 2012 Democratic primary. Kernell lost to Hardaway, ending his 38-year tenure.
- Tennessee House of Representatives: Mike Kernell Biography
- "Mike Kernell". Tennessee General Assembly. Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- Political Notebook: Gentlemen, the envelope, please » The Commercial Appeal
- Locker, Richard (2004-10-25). "Voters in Shelby County, Tenn., want tax relief". The Commercial Appeal.
- TennCare to lose 323,000 enrollees » The Commercial Appeal
- Dedrick, James (2008-10-08). "David C. Kernell Indicted for Alleged Hack of Governor Sarah Palin's E-mail Account". United States Department of Justice press release. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- "Man denies hacking Palin e-mail". BBC. 2008-10-09.
- State races come into focus » The Commercial Appeal
- Election panel certifies 57 for Aug. 7 ballot » The Commercial Appeal
- Home Page - Tim Cook for Tennessee State Representative District 93
- Election Results - The Council of State Governments
- Tennessee Department of State: Elections Home: Elections Results: Unofficial Election Results November 2, 2010: Tennessee House of Representatives Results