April 10, 1958
LaGrange, Georgia, United States
|Residence||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Other names||Mickey LaLamean|
|Occupation||Network executive, television programmer, television producer, TV series creator|
|Known for||Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Mike Tyson Mysteries
The Powerpuff Girls
Lazzo was born in LaGrange, Georgia. In his childhood, his family would often relocate, making it difficult for him to make friends. Instead, he grew heavily invested in television, cartoons, and comic books. He dropped out of high school at 15 and for a time worked at a movie theater. In 1984, he began working in the shipping and receiving department of TBS. He gradually worked his way through the programming department of TBS in the intervening years. He went to program TBS's animation block, running daily from 4:30–6PM Eastern time until 1993, when he became the first programmer in Cartoon Network's history. By 1994, he was the vice president of programming for Cartoon Network.
In 1994, Lazzo helped create the first animated late-night talk show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, for the Cartoon Network. His production company, Ghost Planet Industries, created a spin-off of Space Ghost in 1995; Cartoon Planet debuted on TBS but moved to Cartoon Network the following year.
In 1997, Lazzo and GPI began production on Toonami, an afternoon block of action cartoons on Cartoon Network. In 1999, Lazzo himself appeared in a rehearsal of the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode "Fire Ant" in an episode "Table Read". In 2004, he served as the producer for Miguzi, another afternoon block of action programming, this time aimed at a younger audience.
In 1999, Ghost Planet Industries changed its name to Williams Street, and the following year the studio started developing more non-Space Ghost-related comedy cartoons aimed at adult audiences. The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force all premiered on Cartoon Network unannounced in the early mornings of December 2000, almost a year before [adult swim] officially premiered in September 2001. Keith Crofford has served as Lazzo's co-executive producer since 1994.
- Robot Chicken Episode 320
- Steve Weinstein (August 2, 1994). "Hanging Out With Yogi and Huckleberry". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- John Jurgensen (March 12, 2015). "Adult Swim: How to Run a Creative Hothouse". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- Alan Cohen (January 2005). "Swimming Against the Tide". Fast Company (90). Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- [Blog History of Frederator original cartoon shorts. http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/frederator_studios/2006/12/30/blog-history-of-frederators-original-cartoon-7/]
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 2 "Sharrock" Episode Commentary