Loades has appeared as a primary presenter or supporting expert in many documentaries covering historical weapons. Behind the scenes, he has worked as an action arranger in over 100 screen productions. As a television presenter/host he is best known for the BBC series' Time Commanders, Weapons That Made Britain for Channel 4 and Weapon Masters for Discovery Networks. He wrote and presented the two-hour special Going Medieval for H2 channel in 2012.
On-screen, Loades is well known for demonstrating military history from all periods in a hands-on style. He is an acknowledged expert horseman, charioteer, archer, horse archer, jouster, swordsman and black powder shooter.
Loades provided commentary about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in a short documentary for the videogame Total War: Rome 2. While referring to Assassin's Creed, he said that despite his age, he was "blown away" by the work that was put in by the videogame industry to make their work more historically authentic.
Loades has also directed several television drama/documentary specials, including:
- USS Constellation - Battling For Freedom, Indigo Films for History Channel 2007
- The Hunt For Lincoln's Assassin, Indigo Films for National Geographic channel 2006
- The Plot to Kill Jesse James, Indigo Films for History Channel 2006
- The Plot to Kill Reagan, Indigo Films for History Channel 2005
- Archery - Its History and Forms, Running Wolf Productions 1995 (video)
- Blow by Blow Guide to Swordfighting, Running Wolf Productions 1991 (video)
- Swords and Swordsmen 2010 Pen and Sword Books ISBN 1-84884-133-7
- The Longbow 17 September 2013 Osprey Publishing ISBN 978-1-78200-085-3
- The Composite Bow 2016 Osprey Publishing
- Gaffney, Thomas (22 December 2011). "What's On Today". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Nunneley, Stephany (27 November 2013). "Total War: Rome 2 mini documentary provides a history lesson on The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest". VG247. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Campbell, Colin (22 July 2013). "Truth and fantasy in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag". Polygon. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Keith Ducklin; John Waller (2001). Sword fighting: a manual for actors and directors. Robert Hale. p. 9. ISBN 978-0-7090-6703-0.
- Nicola Lees (1 September 2010). Greenlit: Developing Factual TV Ideas from Concept to Pitch: The Professional Guide to Pitching Factual Shows. A&C Black. ISBN 978-1-4081-2333-1.