Mike McGuire (politician)
|Member of the California State Senate|
from the 2nd district
Assumed office |
December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Noreen Evans|
July 21, 1979|
|Alma mater||Sonoma State University|
Mike McGuire is an American politician currently serving in the California State Senate. He is a Democrat representing the 2nd Senate District, which encompasses the North Coast region, from Marin County to Del Norte County.
McGuire comes from a family of farmers, specializing in grape and prune farming for over 50 years. He attended Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, California, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 2002. His wife, Erika McGuire, is a high school teacher and middle school assistant-principal.
In high school, McGuire was voted president of his class. In 1998, he became the youngest person ever elected to the Healdsburg School Board at age 19. McGuire was elected to the Healdsburg City Council in 2004, where he spent six years, including time as the city's youngest mayor. In 2010, he became a Sonoma County supervisor. In 2014, McGuire easily defeated Republican candidate Lawrence Weisner for the District 2 State Senate seat, winning 70% of the vote.
In April 2015, he introduced bill SB 643, with the purpose of legalizing and regulating the medical marijuana industry. The regulation would cover cultivation to consumption. McGuire criticized the state's lack of rules and regulations for medical marijuana.
- The Press Democrat May 16, 2014 PD Editorial: Mike McGuire is best choice in Senate election (BETH SCHLANKER/ The Press Democrat)
- "McGuire Distinguished Alum". SSU News. 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- California State Senate Majority Caucus California Senator Mike McGuire Senate District 2 Biography
- The Point Reyes Light 20 March 2014 Mike McGuire, his election assured, remains little known in Marin By Herb Kutchins
- "Supervisor Mike McGuire Hosts Annual Windsor Town Hall Meeting on August 19th". sonomacounty.ca.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "California State Senate elections, 2014 - Ballotpedia". Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Bill Status". leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- Ukiah Daily Journal 30-04-15 California Sen. Mike McGuire proposes regulating medical marijuana industry
- The Guardian Sunday 3 May 2015 California looks to bring law and order to decades-old medical marijuana market - Anita Chabria in Sacramento
|This article about a member of the California State Senate is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|