Mike McGuire (politician)
|Member of the California State Senate|
from the 2nd district
|Assumed office |
December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Noreen Evans|
|Member of the|
Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
from the 4th district
January 11, 2011 – November 2014
|Preceded by||Paul Kelley|
|Succeeded by||James Gore|
|Mayor of Healdsburg, California|
|Member of the Healdsburg City Council|
Michael T. McGuire
July 21, 1979
Healdsburg, California, U.S.
|Education||Sonoma State University (BA)|
Mike McGuire (born July 21, 1979) is an American politician currently serving in the California State Senate. He is a Democrat representing the 2nd Senate District, which encompasses the North Coast region, from Marin County to Del Norte County. Prior to being elected to the State Senate in 2014, he was a member of the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors and served as mayor of Healdsburg, California.
Early life and education
Mike McGuire comes from a family of farmers, specializing in grape and prune farming for over 50 years. In 1998, he became the youngest person ever elected to the Healdsburg School Board at age 19. He attended Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, California, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in political science in 2002.
McGuire was elected to the Healdsburg City Council in 2004, where he spent six years, including time as the city's youngest mayor. In 2010, he became a member of the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors. In 2014, McGuire easily defeated Republican candidate Lawrence Weisner for the District 2 State Senate seat, winning 70% of the vote.
In April 2015, he introduced bill SB 643, with the purpose of legalizing and regulating the medical marijuana industry. The regulation would cover cultivation to consumption. McGuire criticized the state's lack of rules and regulations for medical marijuana, and was opposed to the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (Proposition 64). In September 2017, he was part of the state's legislative session that urged Congress to censure the president Donald Trump.
In September 2018, the bill he introduced to establish a statewide protocol for emergency alerts for all 58 California counties was signed into a law. In December 2018, he was selected to serve as assistant majority leader of the California Senate. In early January 2019, Mike McGuire "applauded" Gavin Newsom's 2019 budget plan for California. That same month, when president Donald Trump threatened to withhold government emergency fundings for the wildfires because of poor forest management by the state of California, Mike McGuire replied in a tweet that most California forests affected are managed by the federal government and not the state.
2004 Healdsburg City Council Election
|Nonpartisan||Gary W Plass||2,821||22.0|
|Nonpartisan||Lisa W Schaffner||2,746||21.4|
|Nonpartisan||Mark T Gleason||2,462||19.2|
2008 Healdsburg City Council Election
|Nonpartisan||Gary W Plass||2,928||23.5|
2010 Sonoma County Board of Supervisors 4th district election
2014 State Senate Election
|Republican||Lawrence R. Wiesner||48,401||26.8|
|No party preference||Harry V. Lehmann||8,060||4.5|
|Republican||Lawrence R. Wiesner||80,778||30.0|
2018 State Senate Election
|Democratic||Mike McGuire (incumbent)||163,723||76.2|
|Democratic||Veronica "Roni" Jacobi||51,186||23.8|
|Democratic||Mike McGuire (incumbent)||233,688||67.2|
|Democratic||Veronica "Roni" Jacobi||114,184||32.8|
- The Press Democrat May 16, 2014 PD Editorial: Mike McGuire is best choice in Senate election (BETH SCHLANKER/ The Press Democrat)
- The Point Reyes Light 20 March 2014 Mike McGuire, his election assured, remains little known in Marin By Herb Kutchins
- "McGuire Distinguished Alum". SSU News. December 21, 2016. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- California State Senate Majority Caucus California Senator Mike McGuire Senate District 2 Biography
- "Supervisor Mike McGuire Hosts Annual Windsor Town Hall Meeting on August 19th". sonomacounty.ca.gov. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- "California State Senate elections, 2014 - Ballotpedia". Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- "Bill Status". leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- Ukiah Daily Journal 30-04-15 California Sen. Mike McGuire proposes regulating medical marijuana industry
- The Guardian Sunday 3 May 2015 California looks to bring law and order to decades-old medical marijuana market - Anita Chabria in Sacramento
- Guy Kovner (October 31, 2016). "Citing marijuana 'mess,' Sen. Mike McGuire opposes California's faulty Proposition 64". Sonomanews.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- David Siders (September 17, 2017). "California tears into Trump". Politico.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Guy Kovner (September 21, 2018). "Gov. Brown signs into law California emergency alerts and wildfire liability bills". Pressdemocrat.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Julie Johnson (December 22, 2018). "Healdsburg Democrat Mike McGuire appointed to a top California Senate leadership post". Pressdemocrat.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Marissa Papanek (December 24, 2018). "Sen. Mike McGuire named assistant majority leader of CA State Senate". Krcrtv.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Thadeus Greenson (January 10, 2019). "Wood, McGuire Applaud Gov.'s Budget Plan". Northcoastjournal.com. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Trump, California lawmakers spar over wildfire funding". Time-standard.com. January 9, 2019. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Governor Gavin Newsom Signs SB 27: Tax Transparency Bill". Press release of the office of the Governor of California. July 30, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike McGuire (politician).|