Mike Minor (actor)
December 7, 1940
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Died||January 28, 2016
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Cause of death||Cancer|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|Spouse(s)||Monyeen Rae Martini
(1961–1966; divorced); 1 child
Linda Kaye Henning
Marilyn Minor (1981–2016; his death)
|Parent(s)||Don Fedderson and Tido Minor|
He began voice lessons in 1953 at the age of 13. His first singing job was at Ye Little Club in Beverly Hills, where he was engaged for two weeks and held over for 10. He attended University High School in Los Angeles and Brown Military Academy in San Diego. Since then he had appeared at Bimbo's in San Francisco, the Rat Fink Room in New York City, the Elegante in Brooklyn, Izzy's Supper Club in Vancouver and the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles.
Minor played the character Steve Elliott on Petticoat Junction in seasons four through seven (1966–70). His character, a pilot, crashed his airplane in Hooterville, then recovered and later married Betty Jo Bradley. Seasons 6 and 7 of the series focuses on the couple and their newborn daughter Kathy Jo Elliott. It has been erroneously reported in many sources that Minor sang the series' title song; in fact, it was sung by Curt Massey, the series music composer who co-wrote the song with show creator and producer Paul Henning.
In the 1970s, Minor took on daytime television. He had some brief roles on The Edge of Night and As the World Turns. In the 1980s, he appeared as Brandon Kingsley on All My Children (1980–1982) and as Dr. Royal Dunning on Another World (1983–1984).
Personal life and death
Minor's childhood ambition was to be a professional baseball player, but when he matured he switched to golf. He was a member of the Hollywood Hackers, an organization of show-biz golfers who travel around the country playing at choice golf courses and entertaining the spectators. On July 22, 1961, Minor married Monyeen Rae Martini; the couple had one son but the marriage ended in divorce.
On September 7, 1968, he married Linda Kaye Henning, who played Betty Jo on Petticoat Junction, following a romance that began on the set. A year before their real-life wedding, they were married in the television series. Mike and Linda were divorced after five years. They had no children. Minor married Marilyn Minor in 1981.
- "Mike Minor Played Steve Elliot on Petticoat Junction Died at 75". Mortys TV. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Brooks, Tim (2007). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 1077. ISBN 0-345-49773-2.
- Stephens, John G. (2004). From my three sons to major dad: my life as a TV producer. Scarecrow Press. p. 86. ISBN 0-8108-5279-9.
- McLennan, Cynthia (February 1, 2016). "Veteran Soap Actor Mike Minor Dead at 75". Soap She Knows. United States. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Fulghum, Sherrill (January 30, 2016). ""Petticoat Junction" Actor Mike Minor Dies". The Daily Voice News. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- "The Gastonia Gazette from Gastonia, North Carolina · Page 12". Newspapers. October 28, 1967. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Leszczak, Bob (2015). From Small Screen to Vinyl: A Guide to Television Stars Who Made Records 1950-2000. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. p. 228. ISBN 1442242744.
- "Mike Minor profile". Omnilexica. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- "R.I.P. MIKE MINOR". MeTV. Weigel Broadcasting. Retrieved February 1, 2016.