Mike Shepherd (author)
August 2, 1947
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Mike Shepherd, born Mike Moscoe, is an American science fiction writer who lives in Vancouver, WA. He was born in 1947 in Philadelphia to a Navy family and travelled a lot as a child. It was not until high school that he finished a year in the school he started.
After a career in government, Shepherd sold his first published writing to the science fiction magazine Analog. It was a short story called "Summer Hopes, Winter Dreams" and appeared in the March 1991 issue.
His short story "A Day's Work on the Moon" was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novelette in 2000.
Shepherd has written about one book a year. His first three books, the Lost Millennium series (First Dawn in 1996, Second Fire in 1997, and Lost Days in 1998) had a combined sales of just over 20,000 copies, so his editor suggested that he switch genres, to military science fiction set in the future. His next three books, the Society of Humanity series (The First Casualty in 1999, The Price of Peace in 2000, and They Also Serve in 2001) sold better, at over 10,000 copies each, but not as high as was hoped. To make a fresh start for his next series, his editor suggested that he write under a new pseudonym.
His third and ongoing series, published as "Mike Shepherd", covers the exploits of Kris Longknife, a rich young naval officer who struggles to deal with the expectations and reputation of her famous family of military leaders, politicians, and billionaires. The first book, Mutineer, was published in 2004 to greater success than his previous books. In a review for Tor.com, Liz Bourke described the series as "pure fluff" of the good kind, that is, intellectually lightweight but "entertainingly sticky, full of implausible successes, assassins, fleet actions and daredevil do-or-die gallantry".
List of works
written as Mike Moscoe
- First Dawn (1996) ISBN 0-441-00392-3
- Second Fire (1997) ISBN 0-441-00458-X
- Lost Days (1998) ISBN 0-441-00510-1
Society of Humanity universe
Jump Universe books
- Unity War
- The First Casualty (Jan 1, 1999) ISBN 978-0-441-00593-2
- The Price of Peace (Jan 1, 2000) ISBN 978-0-441-00695-3
- They Also Serve (Jan 1, 2001) ISBN 978-0-441-00795-0
- Interwar-period War
- To Do or Die (Feb 25, 2014) ISBN 978-0-425-26252-8
- Iteeche War
- Rita Longknife: Enemy Unknown (Mar 5, 2017) ASIN B01N4L4582
- Rita Longknife: Enemy in Sight (Sep 5, 2017)
Kris Longknife books
Written as Mike Shepherd
- Mutineer (Jan 27, 2004) ISBN 978-0-441-01142-1
- Deserter (Nov 30, 2004) ISBN 978-0-441-01227-5
- Defiant (Oct 25, 2005) ISBN 978-0-441-01349-4
- 3.5. Training Daze (Oct 4, 2011) Companion short novel ASIN B005LR5KNO
- Resolute (Oct 31, 2006) ISBN 978-0-441-01453-8
- Audacious (Oct 30, 2007) ISBN 978-0-441-01541-2
- Intrepid (Oct 28, 2008) ISBN 978-0-441-01651-8
- Undaunted (Oct 27, 2009) ISBN 978-0-441-01786-7
- Redoubtable (Oct 26, 2010) ISBN 978-0-441-01956-4 — previously called Superb, changed after release of Undaunted where the author stated the next volume's working title in the "About the Author" blurb.
- Daring (Oct 25, 2011) ISBN 978-1-937-007-03-4 — crossover preceding the Vicky Peterwald trilogy, directly preceding Vicky Peterwald: Target
- 9.5. Welcome Home/Go Away (Sep 25, 2012) Companion short novel ASIN B007FEFBEE
- Furious (Oct 30, 2012) ISBN 978-1-937-007-39-3
- 10.5. Kris Longknife's Bloodhound (Sep 3, 2013) Companion short novel ASIN B00F1KH098
- Defender (Oct 29, 2013) ISBN 978-0-425-253-41-0
- Tenacious (Oct 28, 2014) ISBN 978-0-425-252-90-1
- Unrelenting (Oct 27, 2015) ISBN 978-0-425-277-37-9 — previously called Relentless, changed to Unrelenting in March 2015
- 13.5 Kris Longknife among the Kicking Bird (Feb 6, 2017) ASIN B01MR8CBK7, This story was originally part of Kris Longknife - Unrelenting but these 7600 words had to be cut because the novel was too long. Now you can read the full story that was covered in one short paragraph in Unrelenting.
- Bold (Oct 25, 2016) ISBN 978-0-425-277-38-6 — crossover ending the Vicky Peterwald trilogy, directly succeeding Vicky Peterwald: Rebel
- 14.1. Ruth Longknife's First Christmas: A Kris Longknife Christmas Companion short story (Dec 23, 2016) ASIN B01MQZ54RS
- 14.5. Kris Longknife's Replacement: Admiral Santiago on Alwa Station Companion short novel (Jan 5, 2017) ASIN B01N2P6WX3
- 14.9. Kris Longknife's Bad Day Companion short novel (Apr 2, 2017) ASIN B06X3YM79W, This story was the original opening chapters for Emissary, but was cut and replaced.
- Emissary (May 1, 2017) ASIN B01N2B8PC3
- 15.5. Kris Longknife’s Maid Goes on Strike ASIN B06ZY3HLJ9 Companion short novel (Jun 1, 2017)
- Admiral (Nov 5, 2017)
Vicky Peterwald books
Written as Mike Shepherd
- Target (June 2014) ISBN 978-0425266571 — A spin-off from Kris Longknife: Daring 
- Survivor (June 2015)  ISBN 978-0425266588
- Rebel (June 2016)  ISBN 978-0425266595
- 3.5: Kris Longknife 14: Bold (October 2016) ISBN 978-0425277386 — crossover finishing the Vicky Peterwald trilogy arc, directly succeeding Rebel
Works in others' series
- A Day's Work on the Moon: A Collection of Short Stories (2011) ASIN B004O6MUU4 (credited as Mike Shepherd and Mike Moscoe)
- The Job Interview: A Collection of Short Stories (2012) ASIN B0073HI0DC (credited as Mike Shepherd and Mike Moscoe)
- The Strange Redemption of Sister Mary Ann: A Collection of Short Stories (2012) ASIN B0073HP3V4 (credited as Mike Shepherd and Mike Moscoe)
- "Mike Shepherd". LibraryThing. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Bio". Mike Shepherd. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Contents Lists". Locusmag.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "FAQ". Mike Shepherd. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Bourke, Liz (25 January 2012). "Naval débutantes in space: Mike Shepherd’s Kris Longknife: Mutineer". Tor.com. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Kris Longknife blog, "The Ray Longknife books are coming next year", 2012 February 10 18h34
- Kris Longknife blog, "New Cover for First Casualty", 2012 August 9 15h01
- Kris Longknife: Undaunted, "About the Author", pg 355.
- Kris Longknife's blog, "Kris Longknife - Defender delivered", 2012 September 29
- Kris Longknife's blog, "Draft Publication plan for 2015-2016", 2012 September 29
- Kris Longknife's Blog "March has been busy" (23 March 2015) Mike Shepherd
- Kris Longknife's blog, "New Book and New Series started", 2011 December 19 09h47