Muscala with the Bucknell Bison
|No. 31 – Atlanta Hawks|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
July 1, 1991 |
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school||Roseville (Roseville, Minnesota)|
|NBA draft||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 44th overall|
|Selected by the Dallas Mavericks|
|2013–2014||Río Natura Monbús (Spain)|
|2014–2015||→Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Muscala played for the Bucknell Bison men's basketball team for four seasons. He was the 2011 Patriot League Men's Basketball Player of the Year after leading the Bison to an NCAA Tournament appearance. In addition, he was named to the First Team All-Patriot League and AP All-American Honorable Mention in 2010-2011. He was a 2012–13 Academic All-America selection. He was also a 2012–13 Senior CLASS Award finalist. Muscala also earned more hardware in 2013 as he won the Patriot League Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and First-Team All Conference honors, becoming the first player in Patriot League history to earn Player of the Year and Tournament MVP twice. During his 2012–13 campaign, Muscala also become Bucknell's all-time leading scorer surpassing Al Leslie's 32-year record.
NBA draft and Spain (2013–2014)
On June 27, 2013, Muscala was selected by the Dallas Mavericks with the 44th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft. He was subsequently traded to the Atlanta Hawks on draft night, and later joined the Hawks for the 2013 NBA Summer League.
On August 1, 2013, Muscala signed a one-year deal with Río Natura Monbús Obradoiro of the Liga ACB. On February 25, 2014, he parted ways with Obradoiro and returned to the United States. In 20 games for the club, he averaged 14.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game.
Atlanta Hawks (2014–present)
On February 27, 2014, Muscala signed a multi-year deal with the Atlanta Hawks. He made his debut for the Hawks on March 2, recording four points and five rebounds in a loss to the Phoenix Suns. In the team's regular season finale on April 16, Muscala scored a season-high 15 points in a 111–103 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.
In July 2014, Muscala re-joined the Hawks for the 2014 NBA Summer League. During the 2014–15 season, he received multiple assignments to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA Development League. On March 28, 2015, he had a season-best game with 18 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks in a loss to the Charlotte Hornets.
Muscala again played for the Hawks' summer league team in 2015, averaging 9.8 points and 7.3 rebounds in six games. On February 3, 2016, he scored a season-high 12 points in a 125–86 win over the Philadelphia 76ers. On March 26, 2016, he was presented with the Jason Collier Memorial Trophy for being the player who best exemplifies the characteristics Collier displayed off the court as a community ambassador.
On June 29, 2016, the Hawks exercised the option for the 2016–17 season on Muscala's contract.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "All-Patriot League, Major Awards Announced for Men's Basketball". PatriotLeague.org. February 28, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Delaware's Elena Delle Donne, Ohio State's Aaron Craft top Capital One Academic All-America® Division I Basketball Teams". CoSIDA.com. February 21, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- "Hulls Named Finalist for Senior CLASS Award". IUHoosiers.com. CBS Interactive. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- 2012-13 men's basketball all-patriot league team and major awards announced
- Top seeds advance in patriot league men's basketball tournament
- "ATLANTA HAWKS SELECT DENNIS SCHROEDER AND ACQUIRE LUCAS NOGUEIRA IN FIRST ROUND OF 2013 NBA DRAFT". NBA.com. June 28, 2013. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Obradoiro announced Hawks draftee Mike Muscala
- Mike Muscala flying to Atlanta to sign with Hawks, agent says
- Obradoiro announce an agreement with Hawks for Mike Muscala
- HAWKS SIGN MIKE MUSCALA TO CONTRACT
- Notebook: Suns 129, Hawks 120
- Mike Muscala 2013-14 Game Log
- "All-Time NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- Mike Muscala 2014-15 Game Log
- Mike Muscala 2015-16 Game Log
- Mike Muscala Awarded Jason Collier Memorial Trophy
- Hawks Bringing Muscala Back Next Season