September 19, 1992 |
Michael Joseph Papi (born September 19, 1992) is an American professional baseball outfielder in the Cleveland Indians organization. Papi attended the University of Virginia, where he played college baseball for the Virginia Cavaliers. In his collegiate career, he was named an All-American.
Papi attended Tunkhannock Area High School in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania. He played for the school's baseball team, competing in the Wyoming Valley Conference. With Tunkhannock, Papi was a member of two consecutive district champions, and his 2011 team reached the state championship. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim selected Papi in the 30th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft, but he opted not to sign with the Angels.
Papi enrolled at the University of Virginia, and played college baseball for the Virginia Cavaliers baseball team. In 2013, his sophomore year, Papi led the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) with a .381 batting average. Papi was selected to the First All-ACC team and was named an All-American by the American Baseball Coaches Association and Baseball America. He was named a preseason All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association in 2014.
The Cleveland Indians selected Papi with the 38th overall selection of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft. Papi signed with the Indians, receiving a $1.25 million signing bonus, and made his professional debut with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers of the Class A-Short Season New York–Penn League. After two games with Mahoning Valley, the Indians promoted Papi to the Lake County Captains of the Class A Midwest League. He got off to a slow start with Lake County, and finished the Lake County season with a .178 batting average. Papi was assigned to the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League in 2015. He began the 2016 season with Lynchburg, but was promoted to the Akron RubberDucks of the Class AA Eastern League in June. Papi ended 2016 with a .231 batting average, 15 home runs and 58 RBI's.
- "Tunkhannock grad, Mike Papi, selected by Cleveland Indians in MLB Draft". The Abington Journal. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Virginia's Nick Howard, Derek Fisher and Mike Papi get selected in MLB draft first round – Daily Press". Articles.dailypress.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Tunkhannock grad Papi selected 38th overall by Cleveland in MLB draft". The Times Leader. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Mike Papi, Brandon Downes named to NCBWA Preseason All-America team". Augusta Free Press. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Tunkhannock's Papi powering ACC power Virginia". The Weekender. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Steve Bennett, Staff Writer. "Tunkhannock's Papi drafted by Cleveland Indians – Sports – Citizens' Voice". Citizensvoice.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Sandusky Newspapers, Inc. "Indians draftee Mike Papi already on the move after starring in College World Series". Norwalk Reflector. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Lake County Captains: Mike Papi continues journey in low-A". Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Cleveland Indians first-round pick Mike Papi off to a slow start with Class A Lake County Captains". cleveland.com. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Papi playing in championship series in first year as professional". The Times Leader. September 9, 2014. Archived from the original on January 18, 2015. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- report, staff. "Tunkhannock's Papi to open season in with Lynchburg Hillcats".
- Brewer, Jeff. "RubberDucks right fielder Mike Papi has big dream".
- "Gilbert Lara Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball".
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)