Mike Perez (American football)
|Date of birth:||March 7, 1965|
|Place of birth:||Denver, Colorado|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Denver (CO) South|
|College:||San Jose State|
|NFL Draft:||1988 / Round: 7 / Pick: 175|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Career Arena statistics|
|Player stats at ArenaFan.com|
Michael Paul Perez (born March 7, 1963) is a former American football quarterback. He was drafted by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 1988 NFL Draft. Perez played college football at San Jose State and has also been a member of the Houston Oilers, Frankfurt Galaxy, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Albany Firebirds, New York CityHawks and New England Sea Wolves.
Early life and college
Born and raised in Denver, Perez graduated from Denver South High School in 1983 and attended Taft Junior College in California. In 1985, Perez transferred to San Jose State University. He became starting quarterback in 1986 after redshirting the 1985 season. Perez led the Spartans to the Pacific Coast Athletic Association conference championship and briefly garnered national media attention.
New York Giants
Perez was selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round (175th overall) of the 1988 NFL Draft. On injured reserve with pulled stomach muscle (September 19, 1988-remainder of season). He was released by the team on August 23, 1989.
Perez was the starting quarterback in all ten regular season games, completing 171 of 357 passes for 2,272 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also rushed 44 times for 189 yards, resulting in a team-leading 4.3 average. Perez suffered only 19 sacks (2nd lowest in the World League) for 115 negative yards and was intercepted 17 times. His best games were at New York/New Jersey where he threw for three touchdowns with a 61 percent completion rate, and at Orlando, where he passed for 346 yards including a 59 yard hurl to Jason Johnson.
Life after football
Perez currently works in Finance as a Loan Officer at Megastar Financial Corp. Perez is active in the Denver community and serves as Chair of the Board of Environmental Learning for Kids.
- List of NCAA major college football yearly passing leaders
- List of NCAA major college football yearly total offense leaders
- Diaz, Jaime (August 31, 1987). "San Jose's Sweet P". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on September 22, 2013.
- Kroichick, Ron (May 5, 1999). "Rare dearth at position that defines Bay Area football". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Diaz, Jaime (August 31, 1987). "Galleries". Sports Illustrated.
- Pro Football Register. St. Louis, MO: The Sporting News. 1993. p. 261. ISBN 0-89204-466-7.
- "Deals". The New York Times. May 15, 1990.
- 1992 Frankfurt Galaxy Media Guide.
- "Transactions". The New York Times. August 31, 1993.
"Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda", by Eric Dexheimer. January 6, 2000 - http://www.westword.com/2000-01-06/news/coulda-woulda-shoulda/
"Passing Marks..." - by Richard Hoffer. November 12, 1987 - http://articles.latimes.com/1987-11-12/sports/sp-20516_1_mike-perez