||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mike Relm performing
|Birth name||Michael Wong|
|Also known as||Mike Relm, DJ Relm, DJ Floor Sweeper|
|Genres||Turntablism Hip hop Dance Electronic|
|Occupation(s)||DJ/VJ, Director, Editor|
|Instruments||turntables, Serato Scratch Live, Rane Sixty Eight, Maschine|
He has performed with notable hip-hop artists Lyrics Born, Money Mark, Gift of Gab, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and D-Sharp. In 1999 he won the International Turntablist Federation's USA competition. More recently he toured as part of Mike Patton's Peeping Tom project. As a solo artist, Relm is known for live performances which feature a series of audio mashups paired with video images, manipulated in real-time with turntables and Serato Scratch Live and has helped Smosh to make the remakes of 2008-2012.
Mike Relm toured with Blue Man Group from 2007-2008. He performed at the 2007 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and Bonnaroo, as well as the Audiotistic-Future Sound Festival which featured Outkast and Mos Def. In 2005 he released a DVD called Suit Yourself, which documents his time on the "Fourth Dimensional Rocketships" tour with Gift of Gab. He most recently opened for Diggnation Live at the House of Blues in San Diego, California.
In addition to producing music, he has been hired to direct music videos, commercials, and short films. He directed the Jabbawockeez in their first music video "Devastating Stereo", as well as Funeral Party in "New York City Moves to the Sound of LA" and "Just Because".
In 2010 he launched his RelmVision channel on YouTube where he features remixes of films, commercials, viral videos, and television shows in which he re-edits visual elements over music he composes. His unique style helped him gain over 120,000 subscribers in under 12 months, and his videos views are in the millions. Notable remixes include Iron Man 2, Old Spice, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter. His Punisher/Spirit/Transporter remix won the 2009 Webby Award for Best Mashup/Remix.
Mike Relm will be part of the ritual at The Voodoo Experience 2011 which is held at City Park in New Orleans, Louisiana on October 28–30, 2011.
- Iron Man 2 (TV Spot)
- Cowboys & Aliens
- Harry Potter
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
- The Devil's Double
- Happy Endings
- Philip DeFranco
- Aziz Ansari
- S'leb Suit
- Key of Awesome
- Smosh 2010
- Smosh 2011
- Texas Chainsaw 3D
- Smosh 2012
- Radio Fryer (self-released, 2005)
- Spectacle (Radio Fried Records, 2008)
- Jugglin' Jaws (JAWZ001-VINYL, Thud Rumble, 2001)
- Aaahs: Session 1 (WIZ-002, Wizard Record, 2003)
- The Zodyax Scop System
Videos/Films Featuring Mike Relm
- Scratch (Palm, 2000)
- Along Came Polly (Universal, 2004)
- Suit Yourself (self-released, 2006)
- Clown Alley: Relm's first film experience.
- Blue Man Group: How to Be a Megastar Live! (Blue Man Group/Rhino, 2008)
Albums/Compilations Featuring Mike Relm
- Awaken (Electromatrix, 2000)
Other Artistic Credits
- Skratchcon 2000 (documentary film, Director, Co-Editor; 2000)
- Cordor, Cyril. "Mike Relm: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Britney Spears, Daughtry In News Notes". GrooveVolt. 2006. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Chen, Jean (2010-08-16). "One Turntablist and some Mandopop Stars: APAHM concert review". Asia Pacific Arts (University of Southern California). Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "The NMR Top 100 YouTube Channels: 100-76!". New Media Rockstars. Retrieved 6 January 2015.