|Born||Michael David Resnik
March 20, 1938
New Haven, Connecticut
|Residence||Chatham County, North Carolina|
|Alma mater||Yale University
|Philosophy of mathematics, epistemology|
Resnick obtained his B.A. in mathematics and philosophy at Yale University in 1960, and his PhD in Philosophy at Harvard University in 1964. He wrote his thesis on Frege. He was appointed Associate Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1967, Professor in 1975, and University Distinguished Professor in 1988. He is Professor Emeritus of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and currently resides in rural Chatham County, North Carolina.
- Elementary Logic. 1970.
- Frege and the Philosophy of Mathematics. 1980.
- Choices: An Introduction to Decision Theory. 1987.
- Mathematical Objects and Mathematical Knowledge. 1995. ISBN 1-85521-638-8.
- Mathematics As a Science of Patterns. 1997.
- "On Skolem's Paradox". Journal of Philosophy. 1966.
- "On the Philosophical Significance of Consistency Proofs". Journal of Philosophical Logic. 1974.
- "Frege and Analytic Philosophy: Facts and Speculations". Midwest Studies. 1981.
- "Mathematics as a Science of Patterns: Ontology and Reference". Noûs. 15 (4): 529–550. 1981.
- "Mathematics as a Science of Patterns: Epistemology". Noûs. 16 (1): 95–105. 1982.
- "Logic: Normative or Descriptive?". Philosophy of Science. 1985. doi:10.1086/289241.
- "Impartial Welfarism and the Concept of a Person". Erkenntnis. 1986.
- "Second-order Logic Still Wild!". Journal of Philosophy. 1988.
- "Between Mathematics and Physics". Philosophy of Science Association Proceedings. 1990.
- "A Naturalized Epistemology for Mathematical Objects". Philosophica. 1990.
- "Immanent Truth". Mind. 1991.
- "Proof as a Source of Truth". Proof and Knowledge in Mathematics, ed. by Detlefsen. 1992.
- "Scientific vs. Mathematical Realism: The Indispensability Argument". Philosophia Mathematica. 1994.
- "Scientific versus Mathematical Realism: The Indispensability Argument". Philosophia Mathematica. 1995.
- "Structural Relativity". Philosophia Mathematica. 1996.
- "On Positing Mathematical Objects". Frege: Importance and Legacy, M. Schirn, ed. 1996.
- M. D. Resnik (1974) On the Philosophical Significance of Consistency Proofs, Journal of Philosophical Logic pp. 133–147 URL DOI
- M. D. Resnik (1981) Mathematics as a Science of Patterns: Ontology and Reference, Noûs Vol. 15, No. 4, Special Issue on Philosophy of Mathematics, pp. 529–550. URL DOI
- M. D. Resnik (1964) Dissertation: Frege's Methodology: A Critical Study, Harvard University, 274 pp.
- M. D. Resnik (1981) Frege and Analytic Philosophy: Facts and Speculations Midwest Studies In Philosophy Vol. 6, pp. 83–104. DOI
- "UNC Graduate Record 2002–2004".
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|