Mike Ricci (fighter)
March 18, 1986 |
|Other names||The Martian|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Firas Zahabi|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
- 1 Mixed martial arts career
- 2 Championships and accomplishments
- 3 Mixed martial arts record
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Mixed martial arts career
Bellator Fighting Championships
It was announced that Ricci would be a participant in Bellator Fighting Championships Season 2 Lightweight Tournament. His first round match-up was against Pat Curran the fight took place at Bellator 14 in Chicago, Illinois a little more than midway through the round, Curran connected on a powerful right hook that sent Ricci crashing to the mat where he stayed unconscious for a few minutes after a few follow up punches. The bout was stopped, and Curran won via KO in the first round.
The Ultimate Fighter
Ricci joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson as part of Team Carwin. In his first fight Ricci defeated Dom Waters via unanimous decision in the first round of the tournament. Following his first round victory Ricci went on to fight fellow Canadian Michael Hill in the quarterfinals of the tournament winning via unanimous decision. Ricci went on to defeat Neil Magny in the semifinals winning via knockout in the first round and also winning Knockout of the Season.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ricci was defeated by Colton Smith via unanimous decision on December 15, 2012 at the The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale.
Ricci next faced Myles Jury on September 21, 2013 at UFC 165. He lost the fight via split decision. His release from the UFC was subsequently announced on the internet and social network sites on Friday, September 27, 2013.
Titan Fighting Championship
Ricci made his Titan Fighting Championships debut against former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Jorge Gurgel on February 28, 2014 at Titan FC 27. He won via TKO due to punches and elbows in the first round.
Ricci was expected to face George Sotiropoulos at Titan Fighting Championship 28 on April 25, 2014, however Ricci suffered an injury and the fight was rescheduled for August 22, 2014 at Titan FC 29. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Ricci was expected to face Yoshiyuki Yoshida for the vacant Titan FC Lightweight Championship at Titan FC 31 on October 31, 2014. Prior to the fight, Ricci failed to make weight. Both men agreed to fight in a non-title 157 lb catchweight fight instead, but it was ultimately cancelled due to Yoshida refusing to fight just hours before the event.
World Series of Fighting
Ricci made his WSOF debut on November 20, 2015 at WSOF 25 in a one night only eight man Lightweight tournament to determine a number one contender for the WSOF Lightweight Championship. He was set to face fellow UFC veteran Brian Cobb in the quarterfinal bout but Cobb was replaced by Joe Condon. Ricci won via knockout due to a head kick in the first round. However, Ricci suffered a hip injury and was replaced in the tournament for his quarterfinal bout.
On December 18, 2015, it was announced that Ricci will fight in the co-main event at WSOF 27 on January 23, 2016 against Caros Fodor. Ricci was later replaced by Luiz Firmino at this event due to an injury.
On March 23, 2016, it was announced that Ricci will fight in the co-main event at WSOF 31 on June 17, 2016 against Strikeforce and UFC vet Jason High. He lost via technical knockout in the second round.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||11 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||11–5||Jason High||TKO (punches)||WSOF 31||June 17, 2016||2||4:08||Mashantucket, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||11–4||Joe Condon||KO (head kick)||WSOF 25||November 20, 2015||1||2:41||Phoenix, Arizona, United States||WSOF Lightweight Tournament Quarterfinal|
|Win||10–4||George Sotiropoulos||Decision (unanimous)||Titan FC 29||August 22, 2014||3||5:00||Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||9–4||Jorge Gurgel||TKO (punches and elbows)||Titan FC 27||February 28, 2014||1||3:57||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
|Loss||8–4||Myles Jury||Decision (split)||UFC 165||September 21, 2013||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||8–3||Colin Fletcher||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Return to Lightweight|
|Loss||7–3||Colton Smith||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Welterweight Final|
|Win||7–2||Tony Hervey||Decision (unanimous)||Ringside MMA 13||March 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||6–2||Daron Cruickshank||Decision (unanimous)||Ringside MMA 12||October 21, 2011||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||6–1||Jesse Ronson||TKO (punches)||Ringside MMA 10||April 9, 2011||1||3:12||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||5–1||Pat Curran||KO (punch)||Bellator 14||April 15, 2010||1||3:01||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Bellator Season 2 Lightweight Tournament Quarterfinal|
|Win||5–0||Jordan Mein||Decision (unanimous)||Ringside MMA 4||November 14, 2009||3||5:00||Drummondville, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||4–0||Jean-Marc Lalonde||TKO (punches)||Ringside MMA 1||May 30, 2009||1||2:35||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Rory McDonell||TKO (body kick)||XMMA 6 - House of Pain||November 8, 2008||2||2:15||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Reza Kamali||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TKO MMA 35||October 3, 2008||1||3:41||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Stephane Chretien||TKO (punches)||TKO MMA 34||June 7, 2008||3||4:58||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|4 matches||4 wins||0 losses|
|Win||4–0||Neil Magny||KO (elbow)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||December 7, 2012 (airdate)||1||4:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Semi-Final round|
|Win||3–0||Michael Hill||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||November 30, 2012 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Quarter-Final round|
|Win||2–0||Dom Waters||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||November 9, 2012 (airdate)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary round|
|Win||1–0||Jason South||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||September 14, 2012 (airdate)||1||1:50||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Elimination round|
- Davidson, Neil. "Montreal MMA pros GSP, MacDonald and Ricci weigh in on fighting friends." Canadian Press. 14 2012: n. page. Web. 16 Dec. 2012. <http://ca.news.yahoo.com/montreal-mma-pros-gsp-macdonald-ricci-weigh-fighting-160448560--spt.html>.
- "Bellator 14 recap: Imada, Askren, Reis and Curran advance in tourney action". MMAJunkie.com. 2010-04-15. Archived from the original on 2010-06-29. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- "TUF 16 finalists Colton Smith vs Mike Ricci meet at live finale December 15 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. 2012-12-07.
- "TUF 16 runner up Mike Ricci headed to lightweight, eyes UFC 158 slot". mmajunkie.com. 2012-12-16.
- "Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher added to UFC 158". MMAjunkie.com. January 22, 2013.
- "Myles Jury vs. Mike Ricci added to UFC 165". MMAfighting.com. June 14, 2013.
- "UFC releases 'TUF 16' finalist Mike Ricci". mmajunkie.com. 2013-09-28.
- "Titan Fighting Championship begins anew with event headlined by Ricci vs Gurgel on CBS Sports Network". mmafighting.com. 2014-01-08.
- "Mike Ricci meets Jorge Gurgel at Titan FC 27". mmanytt.se. 2014-01-09.
- "Ricci Making Quick Return To Titan Fighting". TopMMANews.com. 2014-03-05.
- "Titan FC 28: Mike Ricci withdrawing from bout with George Sotiropoulus". fcfighter.com. 2014-03-25.
- "Mike Ricci meets Yoshiyuki Yoshida at Titan FC 31".
- "Mike Ricci misses weight and loses Titan FC title shot". dococtagon.com. 2014-10-30.
- "Yoshiyuki Yoshida pulls out of tonights Titan FC 31 headliner against Mike Ricci". mmajunkie.com. 2014-10-31.
- "‘TUF 16’ Finalist, Titan FC Vet Mike Ricci Signs With World Series of Fighting". sherdog.com. 2015-08-18.
- "WSOF signs UFC vets Jason High and Mike Ricci". mmajunkie.com. 2015-08-18.
- "World Series of Fighting to unleash one-night, 8-man tournament in November". sherdog.com. 2015-10-07.
- "WSOF announces tourney matchups; Ricci gets Cobb". topmmanews.com. 2015-10-17.
- "WSOF 25 results: Brian Foster caps unlikely comeback, KOs Joao Zeferino to win tourney". MMA Junkie. November 20, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "WSOF 27: Future Champs Headed To FedExForum On Jan 23".
- "WSOF 27 adds Ricci vs. Fodor and Gamzatov vs. Holder".
- "Jason High vs. Mike Ricci targeted for co-main event at June's WSOF 31".
- "TUF 16 season bonuses: Ricci, Smith, Ellis and Manley awarded $25K bonuses". mmafrezny.com. 2012-12-16.