|Ordination||June 6, 2003|
by Dennis Marion Schnurr
|Born||December 14, 1974|
|Alma mater||St. John University|
Saint Paul Seminary
Ordination history of
Michael Thomas Schmitz is an American Catholic priest and Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries in the Diocese of Duluth, Minnesota, as well as a Catholic speaker, author, and podcaster. Schmitz is known for his Internet presence, especially his YouTube videos. He has been a speaker at Catholic events, including the Fellowship of Catholic University Students leadership summit, Ascension Press, and Steubenville conferences. Lighthouse Catholic Media publishes many of his talks. Schmitz is of Irish and German descent, his paternal grandmother comes from County Cork.
Though raised in a Catholic family, Schmitz was largely indifferent about Catholicism until a particular experience of confession at age 15. According to Schmitz, this encounter "led me down the road to asking God what He wants". He attended Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity and was ordained in 2003 for the Diocese of Duluth. He is the director of youth and young adult ministry for the diocese. He is the Newman Center chaplain at the University of Minnesota Duluth. In a Steubenville Youth Conference presentation in 2016, Schmitz alluded to having a sibling with same-sex attraction.
Since 2015, Schmitz has been the primary person involved in Ascension Presents, with free videos offering Catholic perspectives on cultural societal issues. Schmitz's videos have covered topics from mixed martial arts to Batman v Superman. Beginning in 2017, these talks have also been offered as podcasts.
On January 1, 2021, Schmitz and Ascension launched a new podcast, The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz), which consists of 365 daily episodes in which he reads and discusses sections of the Bible along with his own prayer and commentary. Even before it launched, it had become the number-one ranked podcast overall on Apple Podcasts.
- Made for Love: Same-Sex Attraction and the Catholic Church (2018)
- How to Make Great Decisions (2019)
- "Priest Jubilees – June 2018". The Northern Cross. Roman Catholic Diocese of Duluth. Archived from the original on July 6, 2020. Retrieved July 6, 2020.
- "Fr. Mike Schmitz: "Lent + Q & A"". Youtube. FOCUS Catholic. Retrieved 9 March 2022.
- "Young Adult Ministry". Dioceseduluth.org. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Sarah Reinhard (2020-01-18). "Discernment 101: Father Mike Schmitz Tackles Decision-Making in Light of God's Will". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Matt Riedl (2020-03-09). "How to be like St. Joseph in a noisy world". Arlington Catholic Herald. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Carol Zimmermann (2020-03-19). "Lent in the time of coronavirus: More prayer and unexpected penance". Catholic News Service. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Kristen Bublitz (2020-02-05). "Youtube priest shares vocation journey discernment tips in interview with Sun". The Catholic Sun. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Burkepile, Jacqueline (15 February 2016). "Father Mike Schmitz: Live for Jesus". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Video series for Year of Mercy". Catholic Herald. Diocese of Superior. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Lighthouse Catholic Youth speakers". Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Fraga, Brian (1 December 2015). "Fr. Mike Schmitz, interview". Legatus. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Ignite 2020 Conference - Fr. Mike Schmitz". Youtube. Irish Dominicans.
- Pronechen, Joseph (12 March 2015). "Confession Is a Place of Victory". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Fr. Mike Schmitz | Love and Same Sex Attraction, retrieved 2022-11-01
- "Why Watching MMA Strips Human Dignity". Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Batman v Superman". Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Ascension Press The Fr. Mike Schmitz Podcast". blog.ascensionpress.com. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- York, Will Pavia, New. "Catholic priest Father Mike Schmitz's daily podcast of the Bible tops the digital audio charts". The Times. ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 2021-01-10.
- Daniel Mattson (2018-04-08). "Father Michael Schmitz Tells the Truth in Love About Same-Sex Attraction". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 2020-05-04.