Mike Smith (record producer)
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, recording artist, author, television personality|
|Sway Calloway DJ Khaled, Crooked I, Tech N9ne, Cyhi The Prynce, DJ Whoo Kid, Twista, RZA and Inspectah Deck of Wu Tang Clan, DMC (Run DMC), Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses)|
Mike Smith is a Cuban American recording artist, record and television producer. He is a Number 1 Billboard charting artist. He is best known for being one of the stars and main judge on BET's original programming series One Shot. He is also well known for numerous hit singles including the Top 5 Billboard hit "Beautiful Day" and Billboard Top 40 hits "Hardworking Man" and "You're My Kind Of Beautiful".
Smith first made his fortune in the 1990s when he was only 23 years old with an IT business. He then built, bought, and sold three regional chains of medical practices.
Smith is married to Erika Smith, a choreographer and dancer, who is also one of the executive producers of One Shot. She also danced in one of Inspectah Deck of the Wu-Tang Clan's music videos. The couple has six children together.
In 2013 Mike Smith, along with Jonathan Hay, co-founded SMH Records, a music label out of Charlotte, North Carolina with Caroline Distribution a division of Capitol Music Group. Nigerian heiress Bim Fernandez signed with SMH in November 2013, becoming part of the Smith/Hay musical project Pink Grenade. Pink Grenade released an album in July 2014, accompanied by four singles that gathered millions of views online. Guest rappers Crooked I, Troy Ave, Dizzy Wright and Royce da 5'9" were featured on four songs. In August 2014 the record label offered $15 million to Jay Z to produce his next album. Smith stated to HipHopDX "I will write Jay Z a check for $15 million today as an advance for us to produce an album for him." In 2015 Mike Smith was a performer and producer for the studio album When Music Worlds Collide that was profiled on Fox News, Business Insider and Billboard. He was awarded TIDAL Rising Artist for his compilation album When Music Worlds Collide by Jay Z's music streaming service. The version Deluxe: When Music Worlds Collide featuring new collaborations with notable hip-hop artists was released in 2016.
In 2016 Mike Smith and wife Erika Smith were executive producers of "BET's One Shot" the hip-hop lyrical competition series hosted by Sway Calloway and also starring Mike Smith. The show debuted on BET on August 16, 2016 and also starred DJ Khaled, TI, RZA, and Twista. Smith’s debut album Always You And Me was number 7 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart, number 47 on the Billboard New Artist album chart, and number 67 on the Billboard 200. His book, Lovin' Each Day, became an Amazon bestseller. Billboard premiered "Lost Souls" the single he co-produced for Orlando massacre survivor Patience Carter, Nitty Scott and Iliana Eve.
In 2017 Smith relaunched Wu-Tang label Razor Sharp Records with RZA and King Tech. Smith released the single "Alibi" with Chanel Sosa, RZA and Tech from the album Smith Hay & the Blue Notes. Smith worked with other Wu-Tang Clan member Inspectah Deck on the single "Daddy's Little Girl".
In July 2017, Smith hit Number 28 on the Spotify Viral 50 Chart with his song Almost Paradise with Royce Da 5 9.
On December 30, 2017, Smith's second solo album, Pieces Of My Soul, reached number 5 on the Billboard Heatseekers, Number 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers South Central, Number 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers South Atlantic, and Number 48 on the Independent Album Chart.
Smith's duo Smith and Hay reached number 1 on the Billboard Jazz Album chart for the week of January 20, 2018.
Smith's duo Smith and Hay released the album The Whoodlum Ball with DJ Whoo Kid on May 11, 2018. The week of May 26, 2018, this album hit number 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart, Number 9 on the Billboard Rap Album Chart, Number 11 on the Billboard Independent Album Chart, Number 16 on the Billboard Digital Album Chart, Number 54 on the Billboard Album Chart, and Number 156 on the Billboard 200 Chart.
On December 15, 2018, Billboard 's Year End Charts were released. Mike Smith’s single "Beautiful Day" was the 33rd biggest song of the year on the Billboard Christian Streaming Year End Chart.
In 2019, Smith was one of the producers of Juicy J's moderate hit "Don't You Wanna". On July 15th Jazz Part Two was released and hit #1 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz Charts. On July 26, Smith released Follow the Leader, a cover of Eric B. & Rakim's album in the style of jazz with Jonathan Hay and Benny Reid that hit #1 on the Billboard Jazz Charts and was up for Grammy consideration.
On January 17, 2020, Smith released the album "Somewhere In The Middle".  On March 14, 2020, the first single "Hardworking Man" from the album "Somewhere In The Middle" hit number 25 on the Billboard Rock Chart. 
- "One Shot Cast". Bet.com. 2016-12-29. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Rosenfeld, Laura (2016-08-23). "Who Is Mike Smith? The 'One Shot' Judge Is A Major Force In The Hip Hop Game". Bustle.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "DJ Khaled Talks Wade's Heat Exit, Beyonce Tour, Police Brutality « CBS Sports Radio". Radio.cbssports.com. 2016-07-22. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Bjorke, Matt (2016-08-30). "Album Review: Mike Smith - "Always You And Me"". RoughStock.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Rosenfeld, Laura. "Who Is Mike Smith? The 'One Shot' Judge Is A Major Force In The Hip Hop Game". Bustle. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Would You Invest $30 Million in a Label Called 'SMH Records'?". Digital Music News. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Miller, Gregory E. (2014-01-20). "Meet the Nigerian heiress who wants to be the next Rihanna | New York Post". Nypost.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Staff (July 2014). "Billionaire rockstar heiress Bim Fernandez in controversial new music video 'Let's Take it Naked'". The Herald. Nigeria.
- SMH Records (July 25, 2014). "Pink Grenade feat. Bim Fernandez – Lipstick". World Star. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Pink Grenade: Fear of a Pink Planet". AllMusic. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- Tardio, Andres (2014-08-19). "SMH Records Owners Offer Jay Z $15 Million To Produce His Next Album". Hiphopdx.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Tidal vs. Spotify: Indie hip hop producers release album on both and declare a surprising winner". Fox News. 2015-05-14. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- [dead link]
- Hitt, Caitlyn (2015-05-17). "Tidal 'Opened Many Doors' For Famed Music Producer Jonathan Hay And Partner Mike Smith". Ibtimes.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Hernandez, Victoria (2016-07-26). ""Deluxe: When Music Worlds Collide" LP Features Hip Hop Heavyweights". Hiphopdx.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "BET Networks Is in Search of America's Best Undiscovered Rapper". Business Wire. 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Maglio, Tony. "BET Orders John Singleton Drama 'Rebel,' Gary Owen Reality Show". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Watch Out For Mike Smith". The Source. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Platon, Adelle (2016-12-08). "Orlando Pulse Nightclub Shooting Survivor Patience Carter Releases 'Lost Souls' Feat. Nitty Scott & Iliana Eve". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Powell, Amber. "Louisville teens link with Pulse Nightclub shooting survivor for - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports". Wave3.com. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Video: Mike Smith 'Alibi' Ft. RZA, Chanel Sosa and DJ King Tech (premiere)". Thehypemagazine.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Magazine, The Hype (6 July 2017). "Video: Mike Smith 'Alibi' Ft. RZA, Chanel Sosa and DJ King Tech (premiere): Mike Smith…". Twitter. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Daddy's Little Girl (feat. Inspectah Deck & Iliana Eve)". Open.spotify.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Spotify Charts". Spotifycharts.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Heatseekers Albums: Up and Coming Musicians Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Heatseekers - South Central : Dec 30, 2017 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Heatseekers - South Atlantic : Dec 30, 2017 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Independent Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Jazz Music: Top Jazz Albums & Songs Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Heatseekers Albums: Up and Coming Musicians Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- rkavner (31 January 2017). "Rap Album Sales". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Independent Albums". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Digital Albums Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Top Album Sales : Page 1". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Top 200 Albums - Billboard 200 chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Billboard (2018-09-15). "Mike Smith Beautiful Day Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "World Premiere: Mike Smith & Jonathan Hay (Featuring Bubba Sparxxx) - "Beautiful Day (Remix)"". RoughStock.com. 27 September 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Billboard (2018-12-15). "Year-End Charts Christian Streaming Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- "Juicy J teams up with Denny Strickland and Smith and Hay for an official remix". thisis50.com. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "Jazz Chart Update: Week of July 15 - JAZZIZ Magazine". Jazziz.com. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- Kyles, Yohance. "Eric B. & Rakim's 'Follow The Leader' To Be Re-Imagined As A Jazz Project". AllHipHop.com. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "New Album: Jonathan Hay, Benny Reid, Mike Smith 'Follow The Leader'". Rap Radar. 2019-07-26. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "King Tech Gets Grammy Nomination for Collab Jazz Album with Smith & Hay – Sway's Universe". Swaysuniverse.com. 2015-07-08. Retrieved 2019-09-03.