Mike Thompson (Kansas politician)
|Member of the Kansas Senate from the 10th district|
|Assumed office |
January 21, 2020
|Preceded by||Mary Pilcher-Cook|
Wichita, Kansas, US
Mike Thompson is an American politician, meteorologist and weather forecaster currently serving as a member of the Kansas Senate representing the 10th Senate District in Johnson County, Kansas. He was appointed to the Senate in January 2020 by Republican Party precinct committee members in the 10th District following the resignation of Mary Pilcher-Cook, and took office on January 21, 2020, following a formal appointment by Governor Laura Kelly.
Thompson was a longtime weather forecaster for television stations in the Kansas City television market. He was the chief meteorologist for WDAF-TV in Kansas City from January 1992 to December 2018. Prior to WDAF-TV, he was the chief meteorologist for KCTV from 1983 to 1992 as well as a meteorologist for KOKH-TV and KWTV in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and WPCQ-TV in Charlotte, North Carolina. He studied meteorology in the United States Navy and was a Navy weather forecaster. He grew up in Burlington, Kansas and was born in Wichita.
Thompson was elected to the Kansas Senate by Republican Party officials in Johnson County to complete the final year on Pilcher-Cook's term. He faces an August 2020 Republican primary challenge from Republican state Representative Tom Cox in a campaign for a full four year term in the Senate. Democratic Shawnee Councilwoman Lindsey Constance is seeking the Democratic nomination for the Senate seat.
2019-2020 Kansas Senate Committee Assignments
- Public Health and Welfare
| Kansas Senate Senator from the 10th District
January 21, 2020 - Present
- 41 Action News Staff (2016-04-05). "Former metro meteorologist elected to Kansas state Senate". kshb.com. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- "January 21, 2020 Journal of the Kansas Senate" (PDF). Kansas Senate. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- "Mike Thompson Biography" (PDF). Mike Thompson LLC. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- "Mike Thompson". The Heartland Institute. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- "Mike Thompson LLC". Mike Thompson LLC. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- Sarah Ritter (2019-12-31). "Longtime Kansas City meteorologist, Republican Mike Thompson, running for Kansas Senate". Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- Jay Senter (2019-05-07). "Rep. Tom Cox announces he's running for Mary Pilcher-Cook's seat in Kansas Senate". Shawnee Mission Post. Retrieved 2019-12-12.
- "Senator Mike Thompson". Kslegislature.org. Retrieved 2020-01-25.