Tobey warming up before a 2013 game
|No. 13 – Valencia Basket|
October 10, 1994|
Monroe, New York
|Listed height||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)|
|Listed weight||253 lb (115 kg)|
(Blairstown, New Jersey)
|NBA draft||2016 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
High school career
Tobey committed to UVA over schools such as Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Xavier. During his time at Virginia, he split time between being a starter and being one of the first substitutes off the bench. His play off the bench earned him the ACC Sixth Man of the Year award in 2015. Tobey was on the United States national under-19 basketball team that won the 2013 FIBA Under-19 World Championship. Tobey ended his collegiate career as Virginia's all-time leader in games played, appearing in 138 games over his four years.
Charlotte Hornets and Greensboro Swarm (2016–2017)
After going undrafted in the 2016 NBA draft, Tobey joined the Charlotte Hornets for the Orlando Summer League and the Utah Jazz for the Las Vegas Summer League. On July 25, 2016, he signed with the Hornets, but was waived on October 22, 2016 after appearing in two preseason games. On October 31, 2016, he was acquired by the Greensboro Swarm of the NBA Development League as an affiliate player of the Hornets. On February 3, 2017, he returned to the Hornets on a 10-day contract. On February 13, 2017, he signed a second 10-day contract with Charlotte, despite having not appeared in a game during his first 10-day contract. He made his NBA debut two days later, recording two points and three rebounds in 11 minutes off the bench in a 90–85 loss to the Toronto Raptors. On February 24, 2017, after the second 10-day contract expired, Tobey returned to the Swarm.
Valencia Basket (2017)
On March 16, 2017, Tobey signed with Spanish club Valencia Basket for the rest of the 2016–17 ACB season. He won the ACB league that year, albeit being injured for some time before the playoffs, which hindered his performance and limited his minutes during the playoffs. On June 30, 2017, Valencia announced that they did not renew their contract with Tobey.
Iberostar Tenerife (2017–2018)
On September 24, 2017, Tobey won the FIBA Intercontinental Cup with Tenerife after beating Guaros de Lara 76–71. Tobey was named Most Valuable Player of the game after recording 21 points and 9 rebounds.
Return to Valencia Basket (2018–present)
Mike is the son of Ken and Kathleen Tobey. He has an older brother named Kenneth and a younger sister named Elizabeth. Tobey majored in history while at the University of Virginia. He wore number 10 in high school and college because he was born on October 10 at 10 a.m. and weighed 10 pounds at birth. Ken Sr. played basketball at St. Thomas Aquinas College, while Elizabeth received a full scholarship to Delaware for volleyball.
- "Mike Tobey bio". VirginiaSports.com. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "ACC COACHES VOTE VIRGINIA'S TOBEY SIXTH MAN OF YEAR". theACC.com. Archived from the original on 27 July 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Tobey and Bennett Claim Gold Medal at FIBA U19 World Championships". virginiasports.com. July 7, 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Charlotte Hornets Sign Center Mike Tobey". NBA.com. July 25, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Charlotte Hornets Waive Three Players". NBA.com. October 22, 2016. Retrieved October 22, 2016.
- "Greensboro Swarm Announce 2016 Training Camp Roster". NBA.com. October 31, 2016. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Hornets Sign Center Mike Tobey To 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. February 3, 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Hornets Sign Center Mike Tobey to 2nd 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. February 13, 2017. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "Hornets vs. Raptors – Box Score". ESPN.com. February 15, 2017. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- "Greensboro Swarm Transactions History". RealGM.com. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "Valencia Basket reaches an agreement with Mike Tobey for the remainder of the season". valenciabasket.com. March 16, 2017. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Valencia Basket parts ways with Slava Kravtsov and Mike Tobey
- "El Iberostar Tenerife ficha a Mike Tobey (Spanish)". cbcanarias.net. July 24, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Iberostar Tenerife crowned 2017 Intercontinental Cup champions". Championsleague.basketball. 2017-09-24.
- "ACB.COM - Mike Tobey jugará en el Valencia Basket". www.acb.com (in Spanish). 9 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Valencia Basket signs Mike Tobey". Sportando. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Q & A with Sophomore Center Mike Tobey". virginiasports.com. December 6, 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Gleason, Kevin (March 29, 2014). "Gleason: Tobey has thrived in family environment". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Tobey.|