|Birth name||Michael Trempenau|
|Born||January 14, 1961|
|Genres||Glam metal, Hard rock|
|Associated acts||Mabel, White Lion, Freak of Nature|
Michael Trempenau better known as Mike Tramp (born January 14, 1961) is a Danish singer and songwriter who is best known for his work with the hard rock bands, White Lion and Freak of Nature. Since 1998, he has released several solo albums. In 2012, Tramp went on a solo acoustic tour. He came back with a full band show in 2015.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
1976-1982: Early Years
Michael Trempenau was born in Denmark and grew up in Vesterbro with his mother, Doris, who died April 2010 at the age of 80, and two brothers, Dennis and Kim. Trempenau started his musical career singing in Vesterbro Ungdomsgård, a youth group club in Copenhagen, and appears on their first album: Vi lever på Vesterbro (1974). In 1976, Trempenau, now known professionally as Tramp, joined the pop band Mabel as the lead singer. Mabel released five studio albums and were very popular in Denmark and Spain, with Mike receiving "teen idol" status. In 1978, Mabel won the Danish Song Contest with the song Boom Boom and represented Denmark in the Eurovision Song Contest that same year. Later, Mabel moved to Spain and became Studs, releasing a debut self-titled album in 1981 and then moved to New York City and became Danish Lions in 1982. After recording demos, the band returned home to Denmark, however, Tramp decided to remain in America.
1983-1992: White Lion
Tramp met Vito Bratta and formed White Lion in 1983; the band became very successful in the mid 80's to early 90's. White Lion released their debut album, Fight to Survive, in 1985. The band achieved success with their #8 hit "Wait" and #3 hit "When the Children Cry" from their second album, the triple-platinum selling, Pride. The band enjoyed continued success with their third album, Big Game, which achieved gold status, and their fourth album, Mane Attraction, which included a supporting tour. White Lion disbanded in 1992; their first compilation album, The Best of White Lion, was released not long after.
1992-1998: Freak of Nature
After White Lion, Tramp went on to form the Hard rock band Freak of Nature. The follow-up was significantly darker and harder than White Lion. The band released three albums between 1993 and 1998: Freak of Nature, Gathering of Freaks, and Outcasts. The band shared stages with Helloween and Dio in Europe in 1993. Freak of Nature eventually disbanded in 1996.
1998-2004: Solo career
Following Freak of Nature, Tramp began a solo career, releasing his debut album as a solo artist in 1998 titled Capricorn. The album featured former Freak of Nature bandmates, guitarist Kenny Korade and bass player Jerry Best. Former White Lion bass guitarist James LoMenzo performed backing vocals on the album. The song "Better Off" was released as Tramp's debut solo single and features his first solo music video. The album also features the singles "Already Gone", "If I Live Tomorrow", and "Take a Little Time".
It would be five years before Tramp returned to the studio to record his follow-up album, Recovering the Wasted Years, during which time he would move to Australia, with the aim of raising his son away from the rigors of big city life and to plan his next career move. Recovering the Wasted Years was released in 2002 and featured the singles "Living a Lie"  and "Endless Highway" both featuring live music videos.
In 2003, Tramp followed-up with his third album, More to Life Than This, which Tramp once again produced himself but relied on producer/engineer Flemming Rasmussen (Metallica) to engineer and mix the sessions in his very own Sweet Silence Studios. The album's title track, "More to Life Than This", and "Don't Want to Say Good Night" were both released as singles. A music video made in Australia was released for the song "Lay Down My Life For You". Also in 2003, Tramp released the double disc live album Rock 'N' Roll Alive, which features Tramp performing live versions of songs from White Lion, Freak of Nature, and his solo albums.
In 2004 Tramp released the solo album "Songs I Left Behind".
2004-2008: The new White Lion
Tramp also reformed White Lion with a new line up under the name "Tramp's White Lion" (aka White Lion II) due to legal issues with former members. The band played and re-recorded White Lion songs touring and releasing a box set titled "The Bootleg Series" in 2004 and a double-live CD entitled Rocking the USA in 2005.
In 2006 Tramp's White Lion toured Europe in November and December with British band Crimes of Passion. In 2007 a White Lion compilation The Definitive Rock Collection was released and the band was set for a summer tour with Poison and Ratt only to be dropped by the tour promoter after ex-White Lion guitarist Vito Bratta threatened to take legal action over the band name. Eventually Tramp was able to use the original band name again.
2009-2011: The Rock 'N' Roll Circuz
In October 2009, Mike Tramp released a new solo studio album titled Mike Tramp & The Rock 'N' Roll Circuz which was also now the name of his solo band. The album hit the IFPI, Denmark's official top 40 hitlist albums' at number 16 on November 13, 2010. The album features the singles "All Of My Life" and "Come On" which also features a music video.
In April 2011, Tramp released the solo album Stand Your Ground featuring the singles "Distance" and "Hyme to Ronnie", a tribute song to former Heaven & Hell and Black Sabbath vocalist Ronnie James Dio, who died on May 16, 2010 after a six-month-long battle with stomach cancer.
2012-2014: Acoustic Tours
In 2012, Mike Tramp started recording a new solo album. "Cobblestone Street" was released on April 8, 2013 on Targets Records following a successful acoustic tour of Europe in autumn 2012. During this tour, Tramp traveled across Europe playing 40 shows, while driving and doing everything by himself. The album charted at Denmark's official top 40 hitlist albums' at number 21 and features the first single "New Day" which was released on February 18, 2013. The track "Revolution" was released as the second single for the album. In March 2013, Mike Tramp supported Beth Hart for several concerts in France. To support his new album "Cobblestone street", Mike started a solo show tour in Europe, including France, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Turkey and the UK. The tour ended at "Le forum" in Vaureal.
Mike Tramp did a U.S. tour and his first ever acoustic tour of the USA in the summer 2013.
To wrap up 2013 Tramp released the Christmas single "The Way It Was Before" which is a more serious track compared to most other festive songs. The single which is also inspired by events from 9/11 was released in Europe via Target Records on November 11.
Mike Tramp has announced his return to the USA for the spring of 2014. The tour started on March 19 in Hollywood, California at the legendary Whisky A Go Go and continued into May. The tour also included an extended stay on the Monsters Of Rock Cruise 2014 in front of a big crowd.
The new album "Museum" was released on August 18, 2014 and follows the musical steps of his last album "Cobblestone Street". The new album charted at Denmark's official top 40 hitlist albums' at number 3. The song "Freedom" was released as the second single of the album.
Tramp gave four release concerts at the Zeppelin Bar, Café and Venue in Copenhagen. The four concerts took place on 14–17 August. All the concerts were completely sold out. Tramp delivered outstanding performances with special themes and different set list every night to a dedicated crowd.
On August 22, 2014, Mike Tramp will start his extensive European tour playing shows in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the UK. The last concert of the European tour was at the Bremen Theater in Copenhagen which was a trio show.
In February, 2015, Mike Tramp signed a new worldwide album deal with Target Records. Tramp's new album will be released in August. Tramp also confirmed that there would be no more White Lion.
In February, 2015, Mike Tramp played two concerts in Russia for the first time ever.
In March 2015, Mike Tramp has confirmed he’s at work on the follow-up to 2014 album "Museum". And he says the material will be solid classic rock, more akin to 1997 debut Capricorn, without the acoustic elements that featured in his recent output. He’s working with long-time producer, engineer and guitarist Soren Andersen, their Rock’n’Roll Circus drummer Morten Hellborn, keyboardist Morten Buchholz and bassist Jesper Haugaard. The album will be out on August.
After the highly successful USA tour earlier in 2014, Mike Tramp delivered another very intmate acoustic solo tour across the USA in 2015 and for the first time steering into CANADA as well. Mike Tramp played on the Monsters Of Rock Cruise and the Monsters Of Rock Hangover Cruise.
Mike Tramp announced that the new studio album "Nomad" will be released internationally on August 28, 2015. For almost a half-decade, Mike Tramp has been on a worldwide journey, touring and living as a modern life nomad, in his quest for personal and artistic freedom and staying true to the idea of the rock n roll troubadour. Mike has just completed his third solo tour of the USA in 3 years. Playing 50 shows on each tour, traveling all by himself exploring the American continent from coast to coast like never before. A journey of true dedication -making him unique in Danish rock history. With “Nomad” Tramp completes what he calls his trilogy on his journey to show who he is and where he stands. The album makes the final step on the ladder he started climbing (with Cobblestone street), this time with a full band album, from first to last song. “Without the no-compromise on “Cobblestone Street” and “Museum”, I would never have found my way home to “Nomad”. Each previous album gave me the freedom to follow the songs wherever they wanted to go, and with “Nomad” my vision was clear as a bell, once again I just had to be who I am.” – Mike Tramp
In July 2015 Mike Tramp released the new single "High Like A Mountain" and in August Tramp released the radio single and music video "Give It All You Got", the video was filmed and edited in Copenhagen, both tracks are from his upcoming new album "Nomad".
The new album Nomad was released August 28, 2015 on Target Records. The album charted at Denmark's official top 40 hitlist albums' at number 21. In the spirit of the album, Mike Tramp with special guests – “Lucer” embarks on a massive European tour in the late summer taking them to Denmark, Germany, Sweden, England, Netherlands, Belgium, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, France and Switzerland. The tour ended at the night on fire festival in Karlsruhe.
In 2016, Mike Tramp announced several solo and band shows in Denmark where the Danish band Lucer plays for him as support band and as Tramp's background band. In March 2016, Mike Tramp played a benefits show in Germany, Lingen, for people with cancer.
In May 2016, following up on Nomad’s success and the award for "Classic Rock Album Of The Year" at High Voltage Rock Awards, Tramp released the single "Stay" which like previous singles is being played heavily on Danish national radio. "Stay" comes with a video that shows Tramp in total isolation, living the life of a forest worker in the beautiful Scandinavian woods.
On May 13, Tramp will play on Nordic Noise Festival in Denmark. Esbjerg Rock Festival, Sweden Rock Festival and Väsby Rock Festival will follow in 2016 until he takes part on the Monster Of Rock Cruise in October.
Tramp is married to Indonesian actress Ayu Azhari, with whom he has two children: Isabelle and Lennon. Tramp also has a third child, his son Dylan, from a previous relationship with Fleur Thiemeyer. Dylan resides in Australia with his mother. He also has got a farm in Denmark with his brother where they raise cattle.
- Another Fine Mess! (Scandinavia) (1977)
- Message From My Heart (Scandinavia) (released as Boom Boom in Germany) (1978)
- Mabel 4-Ever (Germany) (released as Mabel 4 Ever in Denmark) (1978)
- We Are The 80's (Spain) (also released as Nací Para Hacerte Feliz in Spain) (1979)
- Mabel's Største Successer (Denmark) (compilation album) (1979)
- Extraños (Spain) (1981)
- Det Sidste Boom (Denmark) (compilation album) (2009)
- Studs (Spain) (1981)
with White Lion
- Fight to Survive (1985)
- Pride (1987)
- Big Game (1989)
- Mane Attraction (1991)
- The Best of White Lion (1992)
- Remembering White Lion (newly recorded versions of previous songs) (1999) (re-released as Last Roar in 2004)
- Rocking The USA (live double album) (2005)
- Anthology 83-89 (demos) (2006)
- The Definitive Rock Collection (2007)
- Return of the Pride (2008)
with Freak of Nature
- Freak of Nature (1993)
- Gathering of Freaks (1994)
- Outcasts (compilation album of B-sides, demos, and outtakes) (1998)
- Freakthology (limited edition box set, featuring all three previous Freak of Nature complete albums) (2003)
|2002||Recovering the Wasted Years||–|
|2003||More to Life Than This||–|
|2004||Songs I Left Behind||–|
|2009||The Rock 'N' Roll Circuz||16|
|2011||Stand Your Ground||–|
|2003||Rock 'N' Roll Alive (Live double album)||–|
|1998||"If I Live Tomorrow"|
|"Take a Little Time" (Leftovers)|
|2002||"Living a Lie"||Recovering the Wasted Years|
|2003||"More to Life Than This"||More to Life Than This|
|"Don't Want to Say Good Night"|
|2009||"All of My Life"||The Rock 'n' Roll Circuz|
|2011||"Distance"||Stand Your Ground|
|"Hymn To Ronnie"|
|2013||"New Day"||Cobblestone Street|
|"The Way It Was Before"||non-album single, Christmas single|
|2014||"Trust In Yourself"||Museum|
|2015||"High Like A Mountain"||Nomad|
|"Give It All You Got"|
|2002||"Living a Lie" (Live video)|
|"Endless Highway" (Live video)|
|2003||"Lay Down My Life For You"|
|2011||"The Distance" (Promo video)|
|2013||"Cobblestone Street" (Acoustic)|
|2014||"Trust In Yourself"|
|2015||"High Like a Mountain" (Promo video)|
|"Give It All You Got"|
- Bronson, Fred. "Danes in the U.S.A." Billboard 111.37 (11 Sep 1999): D-13.
- "Mabel". Rockdoc. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Allmusic (White Lion charts & awards)". All music.
- "Mike Tramp". musicmight.com. Retrieved 2012-02-05.
- "Mike Tramp Capricorn credits". Heavyharmonies.
- "Mike Tramp - Better Off". rockdoc. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp - Already Gone". rockdoc. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp - If I Live Tomorrow". rockdoc. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp - Leftovers". Musicstack. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp - Recovering the Wasted Years". ulfTone music. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Mike Tramp - Living a Lie". rockdoc. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Ulftone - Mike Tramp". Ulftone music. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "More to Life Than This single". Musicstack. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp new single". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "White Lion Officially Off Poison Ratt Tour". KNAC. 2007. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "White Lion - Return of the Pride". Heavy Metal addiction. 2008. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp "The Rock 'N' Roll Circuz" chart". Retrieved 2011. Check date values in:
- "White Lion's Mike Tramp Posts 'Stand Your Ground' Audio Teaser". sleazeroxx.com. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Legendary Heavy Metal Vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO Dies". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- "Mike Tramp "Cobblestone Street" chart". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp "Cobblestone Street" details". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp "Revolution"". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp : "It was a mistake to try to do a new version of White Lion"". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp: the hard rocker who wasn't really one". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Music premiere: Mike Tramp's 'atypical' Christmas single". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp launches new single". Sleazeroxx. Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp to release new album "MUSEUM" in August". Melodicrock. Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp "Museum" chart". Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp Summer 2014 tour".
- "MIKE TRAMP: Reveals new song - High As A Mountain". Metal Temple. Retrieved 2015. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp premiers "Give It All You Got" video". Bravewords. Retrieved 2015. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp "Nomad" chart". Retrieved 2015. Check date values in:
- "MIKE TRAMP Isolates Himself In New "Stay" Music Video". Bravewords. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- "Denmark charts". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- Ferro, Charles. "Global Music Pulse: Denmark." Billboard 109.49 (6 Dec 1997): 69.
- "Denmark charts". Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Mike Tramp's new Christmas single was written shortly after 9/11.". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- Mike Tramp's Website
- Mike Tramp's Myspace
- The Mike Tramp Fansite
- The Mike Tramp French Fansite
- The White Lion Fansite
- Interview with Mike on Anarchy Music
- Mabel discography and pictures
- His page at Allmusic
with Stop - mens legen er go'
|Denmark in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Disco Tango