|Date of birth:||January 10, 1948|
|Place of birth:||Bethel Park, Pennsylvania|
Mike Westhoff (born January 10, 1948) is the former special teams coach for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). Westhoff is considered a "pioneering special teams coach" and his special teams units have generally ranked very highly in the NFL. He retired after the 2012 season.
Westhoff was the special teams / tight ends coach for the Dolphins from 1986 - 2000.
New York Jets
Westhoff joined the Jets staff in 2001 after spending the previous 15 seasons in a similar capacity with the Miami Dolphins.
He stepped down as the special teams coach for the New York Jets in December 2007 after the final game. On September 1, 2008, it was announced Westhoff would return to the Jets' sideline for the 2008 season in an undefined role.
On August 8, 2010, Westhoff received a one-year contract extension. Westhoff remained with the team through 2011, which he announced would likely be his final year with the team. However, on January 26, 2012, the Jets announced that they had given Westhoff a contract extension through the 2012 season. Westhoff officially retired after the 2012 season.
In 1988, Westhoff was diagnosed with cancer of the femur in his left leg. Originally, the condition was misdiagnosed and Westhoff was nearly fatally wounded after the doctor accidentally cut one of his arteries. Once the correct diagnosis was made Westhoff underwent ten surgeries to remove the cancer and the bone replacing it with bone grafts, plates, screws and pins. A cracked bone graft in 2007, caused Westhoff to announce his departure from the Jets. In 2008, Westhoff entered the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center to undergo a procedure to replace the missing femur with a titanium rod. After vigorous rehabilitation, Westhoff was able to walk again and returned to the Jets' sidelines in September 2008.
- Cimini, Rich (August 9, 2010), Mike Westhoff re-ups Jets deal, ESPN, archived from the original on November 9, 2010, retrieved November 9, 2010
- Ryan, p. 133
- "Jets' search for new GM begins". The Wall Street Journal. January 5, 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Youngmisuk, Ohm (2007-12-31). "Farewell for Mike Westhoff". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- Ryan, p. 134
- Bishop, Greg (March 9, 2008), "The Bounce Is Returning to Westhoff's Steps", The New York Times, The New York Times Company, archived from the original on May 11, 2011, retrieved May 11, 2011
- Brennan, Sean (January 22, 2010), New York Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff, a cancer survivor, enjoying Super ride of life, New York Daily News, archived from the original on May 11, 2011, retrieved May 11, 2011
- Cole, Jason (October 12, 2008), Jets assistant battled through cancer, leg ailments, Yahoo! Sports, archived from the original on May 11, 2011, retrieved May 11, 2011
- Finder, Chuck (January 11, 2005), Bethel Park native raises cane as Jets assistant, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, archived from the original on November 9, 2010, retrieved November 9, 2010
- Ryan, Rex; Don Yaeger (2011). Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership In the World's Most Beautiful Game. New York, New York: Doubleday. ISBN 978-0-385-53444-4.