Mike Wilks (basketball)
Wilks with the Wizards in a 2007 game
|Born||May 7, 1979|
|Listed height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Rufus King (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)|
|NBA draft||2001 / Undrafted|
|2004–2005||San Antonio Spurs|
|2009||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|2010–2011||Asseco Prokom Gdynia|
|Career highlights and awards|
Michael Sharod Wilks, Jr. (born May 7, 1979) is an American former professional basketball player.
After graduating from Rufus King High School in Milwaukee, Wilks played four years (1997/98-2000/01) of college basketball at Rice University, where he majored in Economics. His senior year, he averaged 20.1 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game, earning Western Athletic Conference Scholar Athlete honors.
Wilks began his professional career as an undrafted free agent. As a rookie in the NBDL, he won the 2001–02 Sportsmanship Award while playing for the Huntsville Flight. He has since played for the Atlanta Hawks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, San Antonio Spurs (with whom he won a title in 2005, averaging 1.8 points per game), Seattle SuperSonics, Denver Nuggets and Washington Wizards. After being waived by the Nuggets in October 2007, Wilks was re-signed four days later after Chucky Atkins suffered an injury. He was waived again later in November and signed by the Wizards in December 2007. On February 29, 2008 the Sonics signed Wilks to a 10-day contract. After the contract expired he would not be re-signed.
Wilks signed with the Orlando Magic on September 30, 2008. In the pre season game on October 26, 2008 he tore his ACL in his right knee and missed the whole regular season. He was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies on February 19, 2009. After leaving the Memphis Grizzlies, Wilks signed a contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder on November 26. He was waived by Oklahoma City on December 22, 2009, when the team acquired Eric Maynor. This was his second stint with the franchise.
Wilks wore number 29 throughout his NBA career (with the exception of his stint with the Spurs, in which he wore 11), as a tribute to Milwaukee's 29th Street playground where he grew up playing the game.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
|†||Denotes season in which Wilks won an NBA championship|
- Huntsville’s Wilks Wins Sportsmanship Award Archived 2016-06-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Nuggets waive Wilks, looking at center, by Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News, published November 28, 2007
- Severe groin strain forces Denver's Atkins out 6-8 weeks, October 27, 2007
- Wizards add depth by signing guard Mike Wilks
- Sonics Sign Guard Mike Wilks
- Magic Sign Three, Prepare For Camp
- "Grizzlies acquire 2009 first round pick from Magic". NBA.com. 2009-02-19. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- Thunder Waives Livingston, Wilks Archived 2010-02-14 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on December 23, 2009.
- ASSECO PROKOM picks up Wilks, Brown. Retrieved on August 25, 2010.
- OKC Thunder announce staff additions and promotions